2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!! Cylinder 8

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM
dsnowden67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Cylinder 8

I have noticed several other threads regarding this post but to make my life a little simpler I have decided to start this one for my own benefit....

Recently I purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 360. I noticed the "check engine" light on. My husband noticed a misfire with the engine and did a test and found cylinder 8 misfiring. He replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. This did not help the situation. Cylinder 8 still misfires and my husband did a compression test on it and found out there is NO compression whatsoever for cylinder 8.

Personally I am idiot when it comes to this and my husband is telling me that we are going to have to replace the engine in our truck. Is there an alternative to this?

Any help...suggestions...directions on where to go or who to contact would be greatly appreciated

FYI...we live in Canada

Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnowden67
I have noticed several other threads regarding this post but to make my life a little simpler I have decided to start this one for my own benefit....

Recently I purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 360. I noticed the "check engine" light on. My husband noticed a misfire with the engine and did a test and found cylinder 8 misfiring. He replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. This did not help the situation. Cylinder 8 still misfires and my husband did a compression test on it and found out there is NO compression whatsoever for cylinder 8.

Personally I am idiot when it comes to this and my husband is telling me that we are going to have to replace the engine in our truck. Is there an alternative to this?

Any help...suggestions...directions on where to go or who to contact would be greatly appreciated

FYI...we live in Canada
This or rebuild if it's the rings. Could be the head also. Find out for sure first. If it's the head, just the head can be replaced.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its most likely a head gasket or cracked head. you can do a leakdown test to see where the air (compression) is escaping - heads or block. if heads - you can pull the intake and heads and put on new heads for $750 ish. new heads are about $550 from clearwater.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on leak down to identify source of compression loss.

If it is the heads, check the intake manifold plenum gasket and the cat, as these failures could be the cause of a cracked head.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the plenum is blown, it is possible that there is tons of carbon on the valve's in that cylinder.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Cylinder 8