2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 dodge V10 engine mis

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:10 PM
KANYUN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 dodge V10 engine mis

I hope someone can help me with this one. I have a '95 Dodge Ram with the V10 in it. The truck has 175K miles on it now. I have an erratic problem where one of the cylinders will lose spark whenever the truck drops below 2000 RPM. this sets the Check Engine Light, but doesn't store a code. this doesn't happen all of the time. I have had it into the dealer many times and each time they claim it is the 6 pack coil package. after about 3 of the coil packs, I started buying them and installing them myself. One day I didn't have a coil pack with me, so I unplgged the plug wires and replugged them back in. It worked great for about 6 months. I have also noticed that when traveling and the check engine light comes on for this problem, All I have to do is turn the ignition key off and then right back on and the problem goes away. sometimes the problem comes back immediately and sometime it doesn't come back for weeks.

I recently took a trip form Northern Indiana to Central Kentucky. I had this problem all the way to Kentucky. As soon as I crossed into Kentucky, the problem disappeared. the problem reappearred about 1 month later in the middle of a 300 mile trip.

I have had the plugs and wires changed twice.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:27 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 95 dodge V10 engine mis

Try the information in this TSB and see if it helps: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-16-98.htm

The 6 plug coil usually isn't the one that goes bad. It's usually the 4 plug, which controls the spark for all of them IIRC.

The fact that the problem is so sparatic makes it hard to figure out. [>:] Too bad you can't find out what code is tripping the light. I dunno why it isn't being stored. [&:]

Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
KANYUN
Default RE: 95 dodge V10 engine mis

I will try what you have suggested.

I did get it to a shop when it was acting up, I don't recall the codes it was displaying, 3 of them altogether. I do remember that when it was running normal the system said the mixture was rich, when the cylinder dropped out the mixture went lean. that didn't make much sense to me.

Presently it is running great with no problems.

Quick Reply: 95 dodge V10 engine mis