2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

voltage problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 PM
chad.k.otoole
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage problem please help

So my problem started in the form of my truck wouldnt start like the battery was disconnected. So I would fiddle with the battery cables and eventually it would start, so I thought I had a bad battery cable. But then my battery eventually ended up dead after a few days of this. So I had my alternater tested and was told it was bad but the regulator was external. So I would have to try replacing the alternator. I should back this up with once I would get it started, after about 45 sec of running my check gauges light would come on and my volt gauge would completely drop off to no volts. So if the alternator didnt fix the prob I was told it is the external reg that is bad... ranging from 250-500 dollars. I replaced the alternator and still have the same prob, no volts after 45 sec of running. Is this info I received correct, and is it not a good idea to pull a used reg from the bone yard? Thanks. My first post so sorry if ive posted in the wrong place.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The regulator is built into the ECU.

If it is bad, a lot cheaper to go this route.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...onversion.html

Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double check all cables and grounds. Even the big cables can have a break in them that is not easily detectable. Check that before you spend the big bucks or modify things....just my opinion...

Quick Reply: voltage problem please help