2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 ram 1500 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:13 AM
dynamic4x497
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ram 1500 wont start

OK I just put a new tranny in my truck that has been sitting for 3 months when I started it for the first time in ran great gave it some gas the truck cut off and would just turn over I then took my airbox off to see my throttle body and realized there were acorns in it well my original battery got weak while trying to start it after cleaning it out so I used my marine battery out of my boat and it turned over for awhile and worked itself to start up when I turned the truck off and turned the ignition to the on position everything was normal all my lights on the dash came on and my fuel pumped primed but when I turned it to run trying to crank it clicked 1 time and everything was dead but if I disconnect both battery terminals everything comes back on like normal until I try and crank it then it goes dead again what could be causing this?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF! The section you posted in is more of an "introducing yourself" section. Questions of a technical nature belong in the appropriate section for your vehicle, in your case the 2nd gen Ram section. I will move your post there for you. Lots of knowledgable folks there and a lot of good info. Be sure to read the posting rules for the section. Welcome aboard!

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-19-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF Possible problems. Crank sensor damaged if it wasn't removed first and replaced last, plenum most likely blown also and cat is clogged and o2's are shot. Read the plenum sticky for info on that. Battery or connections/cables are no good. Ground wires too(like the one's to the firewall). And please, next time you post, would you please be kind enough to at least add a couple periods and comma's ? Thanks

Last edited by zman17; 04-19-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 ram 1500 wont start