2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rough idle

Just installed Hughes FI Airgap intake, along with new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, air cleaner, and some other stuff. The truck is listed in sig with 215,000 miles. Since installing the Airgap, I've driven the truck 70 miles in a mix of highway and city driving to give the ECU time to reprogram to the new intake. Truck runs great except when sitting at idle and in gear....seems to run a bit rough, idling down around 600 rpm. like I said aside from that it runs great, no hesitation, no misfire. I do have a CEL light giving a TPS sensor error which I found the TPS wire harness was not plugged all the way in, I fixed that but havent cleared the light yet. The only change that made was allowing me to use my crusie control, and to get the truck to shift into overdrive, but it didnt seem to change the idle issue. Think it might change when I reset the light and drive it some more, or should I try a new TPS?

Last edited by Kentucky Fried Redneck; 05-03-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i doubt that TPS will fix a rough running problem.

do reset pcm by disconnecting negative battery cable and turning on headlights for 30 seconds. this drains the capacitors in pcm that holds memory settings. see if that helps any.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dhvaughn: thanks for the tip, tried that with no change. What I have discovered is I'm running around 600 rpm both in park and in gear. If at a light and I let my foot just slightly off the brake it jerks or lurches quite a bit, but accelerates fine when I hit the gas. I have been searching the threads on here and found a few things I was hoping y'all could give me your thoughts on. what are the odds these could be my problem? (please tell me what order of likeliness you would check these, and please add others I may have overlooked or not found).
  • pull the pre cat o2? (just replaced it)
  • double check ignition components? (routing of wires, etc)
  • fuel injectors? (injectors and rails transferred over from old intake)
  • IAC?
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 AM
t's dodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start with iac and work from there. I think something didnt like getting moved just re check what you did. Also clear your cel and let the computer re learn everything now that you have fixed the connection with the tps.

Last edited by t's dodge; 05-04-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on IAC.

Quick Reply: rough idle