2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

serpentine belt keeps shredding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 AM
mgd619
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpentine belt keeps shredding?

Ok my belt just got shredded on one side so I replaced it.... on my way home from work It started to make noise and sure enough it was the belt again (new one). I notice the fan clutch pulley is a little wabbley and think that may be the prob. any one have any suggestions? could the fan clutch pully be tightend(how)? or do you need a new one? thanks any thing would help

Old 09-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Trippen
Professional
Default RE: serpentine belt keeps shredding?

If its the fan clutch pully( the one where the fan mounts) you may have a bad fanclutch. this could lead to very very bad things. Such as fan blade into the radiator and hood when it let goes completly. But if you talking about the pully(Iler Pully) to the left of the fan under the altanator. These go bad and just buy a new one. It is a replaceable unit that has a bearing in it.

As for the fan clutch being tightned it should be if my memory serves me right mounted to the waterpump by 4 bolts. Kind of a bear to get too. I had to remove my shroud around my fan to get to them when i replaced my water pump last year. Best of luck to you and keep us posted to what the solution was

Old 09-21-2005, 03:45 PM
1500sport
Professional

Could be the fan clutch pulley or your water pump may be starting to go out. I had the water pump on my dakota pretty much let go about 3 miles from home once. It started making a horrible noise and by the time I got home it was just about shot. The fan was moving in and out a couple inches and it was starting to leak water pretty good. Got lucky on even making it home.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:13 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I don't know what year yours is, but on my 98 with the 360, the fan clutch is attached by one large (34mm?) nut. The pulley is attached to the waterpump by 4 bolts. R&R of the fan clutch is easy with the proper tools. Without them, expect knuckles that look like your serpentine belt, profound expletives, and a kicking/screaming session to rival a child. On the 98 360, the fan clutch nut is a Right hand thread. I don't know about other related years, but it seems logical they should be the same.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12623/8F2A3168AD134E9E9DA18F521F99EB5D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: serpentine belt keeps shredding?