2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stupid oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005 | 07:22 PM
gcredneck02
|
Rookie
Default stupid oil leak

I have an '01 2500 with the cummins in it. I have an oil leak and it really pisses me off. I can not figure out where its coming from. Its not the front cover and its not the oil filter. I can find oil on the hoses for the transmission cooler, so I'm thinking its not the oil pan gasket. So where else could it be leaking? I took it to the dodge place and they told me it was the overflow hose, because whoever changed the oil last didn't drain the crank case. Well horse crap, it can't be that because its low on oil. And I've changed the oil in it sense they told me that and it still leaks. So have y'all got any ideas? I know that's kind of hard to diagnose over the internet but I thought somebody might have an idea. Oh yeah, you can't see any oil on the motor if your looking from the top of the motor. I thought about putting this post in the cummins section but I didn't know how many people look at it, so I thought I would have a better chance if I put it here. This is our third cummins and we've never had any problem with ours leaking oil. However, I have been told that diesels in general have problems leaking oil. Has anybody heard anything like this? Its frustrating. Maybe we can get it figured out, thanks guys and gals.[sm=deal.gif]
Ross

Old 09-21-2005 | 10:11 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: stupid oil leak

I'd go buy some dye, I'm sure most car places have it. You just pour it in, drive it for a day or so, then get a black light. It doesn't have to by any fancy black light, any one will work, like a 59 cent one from Wal-Mart will do the trick . That should tell you where its coming from

Sure the fancy kits you can buy for this come with a pair of orange CSI class's but you can see it just as good w/out the glass's. Hope this helps!

Old 09-21-2005 | 10:28 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

The guys over at www.dieseltruckresource.com may have some info about the common oil leaks that the oil burners have.

I've never worked on a CTD motor (never been able to afford one), so I'm not quite sure where to start looking when it comes to leaks. [>:]

Old 09-22-2005 | 01:31 AM
tenntech
Professional

I think what your dealer was talking about was the little plastic bottle mounted on the front of the engine. This container catches oil blown out your crankcase vent tube and needs to be emptied every oil change or it runs over. Alot of fast lubes and independent garages don't empty this becouse they don't even know it is there.

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:14 PM
NOMORECHEVY
Amateur

I will like to check this container or bottle my self. You said is mounted on the front of the engine but how can I get to it?... from under the vehicle on from the top? where is the exact location because ICAN NOTfind it?

Old 01-26-2007 | 02:49 AM
NOMORECHEVY
Amateur

This is regarding the container that catches oil blown out of crankcase
vent tube and needs to be emptied every oil change or it runs over.

The question is: I will like to check this container or bottle my self.
You said is mounted on the front of the engine but how can I get to
it?... from under the vehicle on from the top? where is the exact location
because I CAN NOT find it? Let me know. Thanks. 98 Dodge Ram 1500
(5.2)

Old 01-26-2007 | 02:22 PM
Ballbeerfish
Rookie

NOMORECHEVY....you don't have one....quit looking....

Quick Reply: stupid oil leak