2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what axle do i have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
smoky614
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what axle do i have?

Alright, well im in the process of buying some tie rod ends and hit a few snags. Called up napa and they asked if I had the dana 44 split axle or not. How do I know the diff. I thought i read somewhere that they came stock with a dana 44 split axle because of the CAD system, or does that have nothing to do with a making it a split axle? Cause i went and bought a book and it says its a solid axle. Obviously im no mechanic, and and ive never messed with an axle or tie rods so im lost, but i cant stand the idea of paying someone to do something i know i can do(as long as i can get the right parts!lol) and let me know if i read the book wrong, but the right side TRE is the same as the drag link, right?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you need to fill out your profile with your truck info...

if you have a 1500 truck, you have a dana 44 in the front and chrysler 9.25 in the rear.

the dana 44 is a split axle, as it has the CAD disconnect.
its also a "solid front axle" because of the solid tube, as opposed to "independent front suspension" (IFS).

Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 PM
smoky614
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on, the whole split and solid axle had me lost!lol Makes since once you break it down like that though. Thanks for the help and thanks for mentioning the profile thing, made up the sig. but never even thought about my profile. So what about the drag link being the same as the right tie rod end. Cause i see them both for sell, but look the same in the pics and the book?

Quick Reply: what axle do i have?