2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No brake lights, turn signals - stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:13 PM
RareColorRam1995
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake lights, turn signals - stumped!

I recently broke the pin that holds the spider gears together in the rear end of my 95 Ram 1500 2wd. It locked up and had to be towed yadda yadda. I replaced the pin, lock bolt, new gear oil, and new inspection plate and she's back on the road. Problem is, my ABS light, E-brake light is on, when the brake pedal is depressed, the high mount light illuminates, but not the taillights. Also, turn signals do not illuminate in the dash, nor the front/back lights. Finally, e-brake stopped working. I'm absolutely stumped on this, as all the lights will illuminate as running lights when the headlights are on, but will not function as anything else all at once. Note everything worked fine before the rear end issue. Any and all feedback is appreciated, as I don't want to get rear-ended due to this!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

For starters, sounds to me like the sensor on top of the rear end housing is no good or not plugged in (or a brake line or WC is leaking), as far as the abs and brake lite on the dash goes. Remove negative battery cable before replacing or plugging it in.

The brake lites themselves is another issue. Since work was being done back there, you need to trace wire's and see if one or more were damaged during the work that was performed.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 PM
RareColorRam1995
Professional

All the fuses are good. Radio fuse was blown, but there's not even a radio in the truck, replaced it anyway. No change.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM
RareColorRam1995
Professional

Problem solved. Sprayed WD-40 into the multifunction switch hole in the side of the steering column, worked it up and down quickly & they started working. Bad contact or grime build up I'm guessing. Hope this helps someone later.

Quick Reply: No brake lights, turn signals - stumped!