2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 318, differences in block

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:50 PM
mirandaneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 318, differences in block

I have a 318 were rebuilding and were at the end, and some things arent looking good, like where the lifters sit in the block for ever 2 lifters, there held in by a metal frame, and that fits, but then theres a metal tray that is held in place by 3 bolts that kind goes over all the lifters. well my new 318 block, doesnt have a place to bolt the tray down. also the old 318 looks to of been neld iin with 3 bolts, on each motor mount bracket. but i only see 1 bolt on the new 318, and we dont have the old 318 block to compare????

Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Do you know what year the new block is suppose to be? Or did you happen to look at the numbers on the block? Does you new block have the front timing cover on it? Is there provisions for a fuel pump? It could be that you have an LA block instead of a Magnum block. You need to have the bolt holes for the spider that holds down your lifters or they will pop out when the engine is running.

Do you have any pictures of the old and new block? If you do post them up.

Ok after I posted this I saw your other thread about a 1st gen engine and motor mounts. So I'll ASSUME (I hate to) this engine is the first gen engine your talking about??? What cam and lifters are you running? Are you planning on running your fuel injection system on this 1st gen engine? If so HOW?? Your Magnum intake will not bolt down onto the 1st gen heads. Or did you install the 2nd gen heads onto the 1st gen block? If that is even possible. You need to offer up more info for any of us to be able to help you.

1) Why are you using a 1st gen engine?
2) What induction system are you planning on using?
3) What cam & lifters are you using?
4) What computer are you trying to use?
5) What wiring harness?
6) Type of transmission?

Give us something to go with to try and help.
Where are you? Is this swap even legal?

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 05-29-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 1500 318, differences in block