2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500, convert to 4X4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msmith5150
Sharp looking truck! Dad had good taste

I also had an '86 Ramcharger, great truck and the think was a tank in 4x4, lol. I got rid of it though. One day I was going to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, I pulled the bolt on the right side rear of the engine first and when coolant started shooting out of that bolt hole I tightened the bolt back in it and sold that thing!

You just had a crack from the stud hole to the water jacket area. If that is all the further the crack went, you would have been fine. If it bothered you, the machine shop installs pins or a good welder could easily weld the cast material for you. You just have to use a good insulation and keep it from cooling too fast. Cast is a pain with no guarantee but, that crack was non critical and could be repaired fairly easy. FYI

Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 AM
msmith5150
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PrestonEidsmoe
You just had a crack from the stud hole to the water jacket area. If that is all the further the crack went, you would have been fine. If it bothered you, the machine shop installs pins or a good welder could easily weld the cast material for you. You just have to use a good insulation and keep it from cooling too fast. Cast is a pain with no guarantee but, that crack was non critical and could be repaired fairly easy. FYI
Well at the time that rig had several other problems I didn't feel like dealing with, for one the MPG it got makes my '01 Ram look like a hybrid! lol

Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

Lol I have been there. I just sold 2 Jeeps and a Ford Taurus. Yeah, I know what it is like to sell vehicles. I hate doing it. I have a 84 Ford with this awesome low gear transmission (4 speed but, may as well be a 3 speed). It is a 4x4. I rebuilt the transmission, engine, front and real axles. Painted the hood also.

My son wants it but, he is in N.C. I am thinking about selling it for penny's on the dollar. It only gets 8 mpg. It is a hell of a farm truck or rock crawler if you wanted it to be.lol I just got this new Dodge and I am getting ready to move so, I feel you. I gave away my Dads truck to a family member who now just pisses me off (note to self, NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!).

Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

Originally Posted by rarefish383
I have my Dad's 96 Ram club cab. I've been thinking about selling it and trying to find a 1st gen diesel 4X4. Only problem, I just can't seem to let go of Dad's truck. I need a 4X4. I've had the chance to buy wrecked or blown up 4X4's for cheap, a couple hundred bucks. My truck has 90K on it and is 100% rust free, never wrecked. If I bought a donor truck could I put all of the 4X4 stuff in my rwd truck? Thanks, Joe.

I know where you are coming from, thinking about selling your Dad's rig. Problem is, can you live with that choice? Not saying to get rid of any vehicles, you have to make that choice. Swapping out 2 wheel to 4 wheel is possible but, it is cost prohibited.

If you have all of the tools, Oxygen/Acetylene torch, welding machines, grinders, cut off wheels, grinding wheels, drills and bits, clamps, tape measure, scales, squares, angle finders and so much more that slips my mind, you could do it.

First thing, get another parts rig but, do not strip it. Park it really close to where Dads rig is. Compare parts. You have to make Dad's rig look like Parts rigs running gear. It is a complicated process and a lot of tools involved! You may never even finish the project.

I have done it, it is not easy. The easiest way would be to unbolt the body from your Dad's rig, and pull the engine. Next pull body and engine off of parts rig (provided they are still on there?). You will need to salvage wiring harnesses and vacuum hoses off of another vehicle if none are on the 4x4. Hopefully you will still have all of that? Basically, you will just be using Dads body and engine. The rest is from the parts vehicle.

I would use this opportunity to thoroughly clean and paint everything. Then install the engine. Hook everything up you can from the vacuum lines to the wiring. Keep everything routed properly and out of the way. You do not want any pinched wires or built in problems.

Then set the cab on the frame. Get everything routed and working inside. Next inner fenders and front (not including hood or bumpers). A lot of wiring to route. Hopefully you made a good wire diagram of everything because those ones in the book leave a lot to be desired. I am sure you can figure it out from there.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500, convert to 4X4?