2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Bearing ABS....What did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 AM
whipper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing ABS....What did I do wrong?

I have a 99 Ram 1500 4x4 180k ish miles.

About 5 years ago the ABS and brake light came on and the front wheels were making noise. Turns out the wheel bearings were bad. I replaced the wheel bearings and everything was fine.

Now 5 years and only 50k miles later, I have the exact same symptoms. I ordered a pair of wheel bearings and swapped them out. After everything was put back together I started the truck and the ABS an brake light are still on......When I turn the key on, all the lights turn on the cycle off.....the ABS and brake will turn back on right away. Before I replaced the wheel bearings, the ABS and brake lights would not come on until I drove the truck for a while and if I turned the truck off the lights would stay off.....It was very random as to when the ABS and brake lights would come on.

Seems like my problem is worse now than it was before.....

ANY IDEAS?

THANKS,
David

Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have front wheel ABS? You should see wires coming from the back side of the wheel. If not, then your problems are unrelated.
The speed sensor on the rear end has been known to do weird stuff when it goes bad, so I'd look there.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM
whipper

Hello,

Yes, I have front ABS. I pulled the old hubs off, installed the new hubs and connected the new ABS wires.

I guess it is possible that the wheel bearings were not the problem. I didnt replace the Real Axle Speed Sensor because I was hearing noise from the front end again.

Could the new bearings have bad sensors?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What brand wheel bearings did you install? And what brand rear sensor ? I'd replace the rear sensor. And disconnect the negative battery cable before replacing any type of sensor(s). This allows the PCM to reset.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM
whipper

I bought the wheel bearings from Detroit Axle. I think they are Enkidu?????but I will have to double check the box they came in. I did not replace the rear axle speed sensor.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well first make sure the wheel bearing are still good. (never heard of that brand). If they seem fine get a new rear sensor, Standard Motor Products or Mopar only. And don't forget to disconnect the neg bat cable first.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Never heard of that brand.. Best bet is to get a scanner hooked up to read the codes... That would be better then throwing money at it for something that isnt the problem.. Does your speedometer work properly? Shifting at normal RPMs?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:09 PM
whipper

Speedometer works fine and shifting is fine. I plan to get the codes scanned next week. THANKS for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing ABS....What did I do wrong?