2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 1500 5.9l gall darn broke it

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
darikweitzel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dodge ram 1500 5.9l gall darn broke it

I was wondering your input on what exactly happened here. I was driving then all of a sudden I been getting loud clunking from the bottom of the motor and found this."attached" I dont think it is suppose to flop around and I have also noticed the truck run real rough when in gear. From what I think is something broke off and has something to do with the timing I think. Has lines on it like it would line up with the timing lines from the top view from under the hood. Please let me know how this can be fixed or what. It just free spins off from the crank.

Attached Thumbnails 96 dodge ram 1500 5.9l gall darn broke it-photo.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I can tell looks like your harmonic balance pulley broke..... No idea how you manage that

Old 06-29-2013, 07:52 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're gonna have to do some pullin' to get a good look at what happened, and to fix it...

Need to pull the fan and shroud, probably take off the water pump and timing cover to do a good inspection.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:02 PM
darikweitzel

Wow, alright sounds like a project. So this is a part I need in order to make the truck run normal? Any idea how it attaches the the motor? I cant figure that part out..??

Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by darikweitzel
Wow, alright sounds like a project. So this is a part I need in order to make the truck run normal? Any idea how it attaches the the motor? I cant figure that part out..??
It connects to the crankshaft, yup gotta have it. Need a puller to get it off (normally anyway, you might find different), you can rent those at most auto part stores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer
But get the front tore down so you can inspect the full extent of the damage.

Last edited by stewie01; 06-29-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 PM
darikweitzel

Alright, going to take it all apart and see whats going on. Thanks for your knowledge and help! Ill post soon as I run into something or need help>

Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 PM
darikweitzel

After looking closer at this harmonic balancer. I come to a conclusion that perhaps the harmonic balancer is made of parts. After looking at it more; it just spins and nothing looks broken. appears the part of the balancer that is pressed on is still on the shaft. "over" the balancer is the part the is just spinning flopping all around that has timing lines on it. Its as if a ring broke in between the 2 and now just flopping around. Could this be? Truck does actually run good accept for the vibrations from the outside part unbalancing the motor like a holahoop. Could I just take that off and leave it off? I hear that some "racers" feel it is more of a safety feature then a fix to vibrations.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a new harmonic balancer. They are two pieced bonded together by rubber. It had came apart and there is no way of fixing it I ever heard of. DO NOT run with out it!
Could possibly break crankshaft and demolish your engine.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 PM
darikweitzel

Prefect, i wanted to know how it was put together. I will suck it up and pull that one out and put a new one in. I would really love to not break a crank shaft since i am lucky already that way. Thanks for all your help! You all are saving me money

Anyone know anything about chevy nova;s? have a blinker light question.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by darikweitzel
Prefect, i wanted to know how it was put together. I will suck it up and pull that one out and put a new one in. I would really love to not break a crank shaft since i am lucky already that way. Thanks for all your help! You all are saving me money

Anyone know anything about chevy nova;s? have a blinker light question.
Wouldn't hurt to pull the timing cover and inspect the chain while you're there....

Post pics whenever you do the work.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 1500 5.9l gall darn broke it