2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange Noise - Possibly Fan Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Blakrayn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange Noise - Possibly Fan Clutch?

I've searched the forum and found several threads that came close to describing the issue I have, but they ended up being some other problem; so I'm hoping someone may have some advice and/or input.

As of two days ago I've been hearing a noise that sounds like it may be coming from the fan clutch area, but it only makes this noise while the truck is in Park. The noise is hard to explain, but I guess "scrubbing" would describe it best.
A few days prior I had cleaned the engine bay and thought that maybe some cleaner had gotten on the serpentine belt; so I've replaced the belt without any effect.
In the past, I had the "chirping" belt problem, and in the process, I replaced the tensioner & pulley, and made certain that the belt and pulley alignment was correct, and the water pump has also been replaced within the past 2 years.
At this point the only thing I can think that this noise could be coming from would either be the fan clutch or the crank pulley. Although the fan clutch seems to have the right amount of tension, and seems to be working fine.
When the fan clutch starts to go bad, do they begin to make noises??

As a side note, it seems as if almost all RAM owners have had the "chirping" belt problem ...and it took me awhile to figure out the cause, but in most cases it is a misalignment issue, and the main culprit is the power-steering pump pulley. Usually they are either pressed on the shaft too far or not enough. I've not heard a single chirp since I've repositioned the pulley so that it is flush with the end of the shaft.

My apologies for the long thread ...just wanted to make sure I explained the issue thoroughly.
Thanks!

Couldn't get sigtag to show ...but I own a 1997 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 - 5.9

Last edited by Blakrayn; 06-30-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM
spelunkerd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be a good case for you to make a video to show us what this sounds like. While you do the video, take a spray bottle with water and spray the belt. If the noise improves it's a pulley malposition problem (belt slides 90deg off the direction of movement) and if it increases it's a belt tensioner problem (slip is parallel to direction of movement). However sometimes what seems like a tensioner problem is actually a failing bearing causing increased drag. With the belt off you can sometimes feel which bearing is bad.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

remove the belt and spin/wiggle each pulley by hand. see if any make a ringy or clicky noise. idler pulley bearing can go bad.

spin the fan/water pump with belt off. any noise?

reinstall belt and spin clutch fan. it should have moderate resistance and not free wheel. it should also be quiet.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise - Possibly Fan Clutch?