2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to clean a keg ?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Action Potential
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used easyoff oven cleaner on steel valve covers. It works better if you leave them in the sun. It may remove the paint... If the covers are power coated, it damages the finish. Baked epoxies hold up best.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I missed your post, yes but always to a small test area first. It's a old Hot Rodders trick, Google search has info about how to do it and what metals it works on.
Cool.
Originally Posted by Action Potential
I've used easyoff oven cleaner on steel valve covers. It works better if you leave them in the sun. It may remove the paint... If the covers are power coated, it damages the finish. Baked epoxies hold up best.
I'm not really worried about the paint as the paint is 36 years old. lol

I had said something to my dad about it and he said "Yeah, now I remember". lol He used to do that back when he had his Fury.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:21 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
m1's have been discontinued so theyre going to be pricey-er, and even more rare now.
Should be able to find them on the used market reasonably priced. For example, I could have bought one off our local craigslist, but decided the kegger was fine for my needs after speaking with the owner about his experiences with it.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Action Potential
Rookie

Update: I broke down an got a 5 gal drum of chem's carb cleaner. 4 hours later... clean... no rust, no dirt, no "organ goop".. Bead blasted the rest clean

Well, if this doesn't work and I decide not to buy a new truck, I'm ditching this keg for an edelbrock manifold or an rebuilt engine..

thanks for all the help..

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

You'll need a new cat and front O2 sensor as well.

And there are no Edelbrock intakes for these engines. The Hughes Airgap is the only Edelbrock manifold and even then it's modified for the MPFI system

Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Update: I broke down an got a 5 gal drum of chem's carb cleaner. 4 hours later... clean... no rust, no dirt, no "organ goop".. Bead blasted the rest clean

Well, if this doesn't work and I decide not to buy a new truck, I'm ditching this keg for an edelbrock manifold or an rebuilt engine..

thanks for all the help..
Same thing I did with my kegger - properly install the new gaskets, bolts and aluminum plate and you will be just fine. As was mentioned, be sure to check the cat and O2 sensors. In addition, you may want to Seafoam the engine, once its back together and running. See the plenum repair thread for more details.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

You might do a search on here for the Kegger mod, since you'd got it taken apart and will have it cleaned up...

Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Action Potential
Rookie

I looked at the mod... It a lot of work for relatively little gain. If I need much more out of a half-ton, I'll move to a 1ton or more..

Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the mod... It a lot of work for relatively little gain. If I need much more out of a half-ton, I'll move to a 1ton or more..

HA! Kegger mod, lightly porting and polishing the heads along with a Fastman throttle body really wakes up both the 5.2L and 5.9L.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Action Potential
Rookie

As was mentioned, be sure to check the cat and O2 sensors. In addition, you may want to Seafoam the engine, once its back together and running. See the plenum repair thread for more details.
Seafoam and o2 sensor already in the garage, And the cat... is 'less' clogged.

Now the cat is rattling around in there not doing too much. Still passes emissions, but the #8 plug is clearly little more fouled than the others.. Still not so bad..

I was thinking of changing the exhaust to improve the mileage. I flattened the mid pipe a bit and shattered the tail pipe hanger when I dropped the truck... didn't see an 18 inch cliff at 30mph. The rear shock mounts exploded and came out in pieces.. Never seen anything happen like that before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean a keg ?