2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

emmissions leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
brownhunter
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emmissions leaks

Last week my check engline light came on. It said evaporative emmissions leak, small leak. Truck ran fine. I cleared the code to see if it would come on again. Two days ago it did. This time saying it was a large leak. Then I when out to go fishing yesterday, the light was flashing an the engine was struggling for a short time going up hill at about 1000 ft elavation while towing the boat. Well I stopped to look around and gassed in in park and neutral. Nothing happened. Truck ran normal going up hill the rest of the way to the lake which was at 5000 ft. What the deal? I don't see any bad hoses in the engine.........? Any help would be great! It's a 2001 1500 5.9 4x4 ram.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Well obvious things first.. Did you leave your gas cap at the gas station by chance?
If it's still there and screwed on right check ALL the evap hoses; under the hood and at the charcoal canister on the frame rail.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM
brownhunter
Amateur

Yeah I still got my cap!! Perhaps the seal on it is bad? I check them, once it cools down, it is about 106 outside right now! haha. It won't hurt the engine to keep driving with this problem right?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have multiple cracked vacuum lines at the purge solenoid (passenger side fender) and evap canister (under passenger side).

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-leak-fix.html

Quick Reply: emmissions leaks