2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Brake Drum Adjustment Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 PM
southpaw1249
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Drum Adjustment Mechanism

I have to replace the shoes on my 97 ram and i am struggling to remove the drums off of the rear. they have been on there so long they are really stuck on there. i have a big sledge that im gonna use to whack them, but the thing i need to know is which way the adjuster needs to be moved either up or down to loosen the brakes so the drums can pop off. what i need to know is which way the adjuster needs for both the passenger side and the drivers side.

thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking from the rear, the drivers side star adjuster should be turned clockwise...iirc. And the passenger side counterclockwise. If I'm wrong just go the other way lol.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

from the post below....

3 if the drums won't come off (mine wouldn't), remove the adjuster plug on the inside of the backing plate, at the bottom. use 2 flat screwdrivers. slide one beside the adjusting wheel and push the adjuster to release it. use the second screwdriver to push the wheel outward at the top (both side go outward at the top to loosen, or outward at the bottom to tighten). if the adjuster won't move, then use your third hand to smack it with a hammer, but only while pushing the adjuster lock out.

-----also for removal------
4 if the drums won't go on over the new shoes - shorten the adjuster all the way up. if they still won't go on, loosen the emergency brake cable some more.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-pictures.html

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Drum Adjustment Mechanism