2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sound like a babbling brook when I start

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:22 AM
Action Potential
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sound like a babbling brook when I start

Its not a critical problem right now.. but its driving me crazy..

When I start my engine, and rev it the first time, I hear something that sounds like a babbling brook coming from the dash for about 10 seconds. The sound is loud, like a person talking. I could swear it coming from the heater core, but can't be sure.

The fan is off, no AC, no water leaking, nothing in the cab is wet.. The radiator is full and I'm in colorado where its bone dry..

My brake booster is also noisy, I think the silencer has worn through. Changed the check value to stop the "moan" on start.

That fact I can't find the sound is driving me crazy.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is it a sloshy, watery noise? if so its air in the heater core.

you need to burp it out. if it continues to return, then you have a leak in the system that's letting air in.

there's several ways to burp it.
one is to park the truck with passenger front (rad cap) up high, and run the engine with the cap off.
another is to cut the passenger side heater hose at a convenient point in the middle and install a flush T. the kind with the screw on cap. this is convenient for flushing the heater core, as well as burping the air, since if you lift it up, its at the high point of the system. i also have a straight connector in the drivers side to make it easy to separate and flush the heater.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Action Potential
Rookie

Hmmm Interesting.. I do have it parked on a hill I'm wondering if the hoses are higher than the cap.. It seems there is a already a straight connector in place from the factory.

Ok, let me play with it a bit..

Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 PM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having this problem, didn't bother me much as I knew what it was (air pocket). Never did get that burp thing to work. It finely stopped after I tighten hose clamp from overflow reservoir, also put on new radiator cap. I think it was getting hot, putting expanded fluid in overflow and sucking air back into radiator as it cooled??? Anyway it stopped the gargling sound.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 that step 1 is to tighten all clamps and give it a chance to burp out on its own.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Action Potential
Rookie

clamps tighten.. tried to burp it ng... its becoming a low priority,, the clutch is squeelling

Quick Reply: Sound like a babbling brook when I start