2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing boost, help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
95Cummins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing boost, help?

hey guys! you didnt let me down last time and im hoping this is something just as easy as before!

i run my truck daily and if im just going around town nice and easy it is perfect. holds normal low boost no problem. its when i get on it a little.

i can hold the pedal down and keep a constanct 10-15ibs with no problem, but once i get up around 20ish i lose all my boost and you can hear the turbo almost sound like it is spinning backwards when it realeses pressure.

i was assuming it may have something to do with a wastegate or something of the sort?

any help? thanks in advance!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

First thing to check is all your boots. The rubber hoses that connect the piping to the innercooler and air horn and such. They are called boots and you need to check your hose clamps to make sure they are all tight. There are kits out there to replace the boots with better ones plus gives you better clamps.

If all your boots are good then you need to move on to things like a cracked exhaust manifold, blown gasket on manifold to head or turbo to manifold.
Then the last place to look is going to be the turbo itself.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 PM
95Cummins

ok thank you!
i will do this tomorrow and report back

Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From your decription, it sounds like you're hearing compressor surge. The wastegate dumping exhaust suddenly will remove the drive pressure while the compressor is making boost, without the drive pressure to spin the compressor the air suddenly rushes back out of the compressor (and can cause it to halt to a stop or reverse). Perhaps disconnect the wastegate, then carefully get on it and see what happens (and be careful not to exceed whatever the safe boost level is).

Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 AM
95Cummins

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
From your decription, it sounds like you're hearing compressor surge. The wastegate dumping exhaust suddenly will remove the drive pressure while the compressor is making boost, without the drive pressure to spin the compressor the air suddenly rushes back out of the compressor (and can cause it to halt to a stop or reverse). Perhaps disconnect the wastegate, then carefully get on it and see what happens (and be careful not to exceed whatever the safe boost level is).
i checked all my boots and manifold and from what i can see there is nothing going on with them...
im new to the diesel scene so would you be able to explain how to "disconnect" the wastegate? or is there somewhere i can look to see how to do it?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
95Cummins

So I disconnected the waste gate by taking the line off of it and blocking it with a bolt. That did nothing for me and I still have the problem. It's almost like a boost leak at this point. But doesn't make sence because some days now it will hold 10psi and other days it will just drop off boost around 5psi.
Anything I can do to narrow down a problem somewhere?
Could my turbo just be shot?

Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM
bggibbs
Amateur

I hauled 20,000 lbs 200 miles to Orlando Fl last week. Got unloaded jumped on the interstate to one home and had no power to stay in 5th gear w/ my manual 5 speed. Combed over the air intake and engine. Pulled off air intake box looking at turbo and decided to jump under the truck . Rolled on creeper looking up at things and saw a crack 1/way around my ex manifold about right underneath where the turbo is mounted. I'm on my way to get used manifold for $125. I hope that's my issues. Might want a ck yours.

Quick Reply: Losing boost, help?