2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power loss problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Ch_ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power loss problem

Hey guys, I hate to create a new thread on here because last time someone jumped my throat and sent me links on how to post. I have read the topic, but this power loss has got me completely riddled. I have a 98 Ram with the 318. My problem is after it sits all night and I crank it, it seems to run fine. The Idle usually drops to about 600 RPMS as soon as I put it in reverse or drive. This is my first Ram so I'm not sure if that's normal or what, but when I go back to park it's still at 600 RPMS when it was idling at 7-8 when first cranked. The power seems to be fine as I start driving but about 20-30 minutes later when I come to a red light all of it's power is gone. When I start on the throttle the rpms will jump to 2300 but my truck will barely move but it sounds like it's straining giving it everything its got, but just barely moving like its trying to take off in 2nd or 3rd. While it's doing this sometimes it will have random spurts of power but once I reach 40-50 MPH it feels fine until I stop again. It usually starts giving me crazy vents while accelerating. Occasionally it will make a hissing noise from what sounds to be around the driver side of the throttle body somewhere. It only does that while I'm giving it gas driving down the road. I've replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, the brake booster hose, the brake booster check valve (and rubber seal), the idle air control valve, The throttle body gasket, the air cleaner gasket, the plenum gasket (still holding up, I checked for puddles of oil today and it was clean), the plenum plate, the intake gaskets, the catalytic converter, the muffler, and I've checked for vacuum leaks. I can not find a leak anywhere. I thought maybe it was just not coming out of 2nd gear or something, but even manually putting it in 1st it's the same, plus my transmission was rebuilt 47,000 miles ago, and I had it serviced about 7000 miles ago. It's throwing no codes, so no CEL. If anyone could help me kind of figure this out I'd greatly appreciate it. I've tried to make it as detailed as possible. Thanks again for your time.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

What's your fuel pressure looking like, especially when you start having problems?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Ch_ram

I'm not too sure. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Well get one and report back. Any auto parts store will loan one to you.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Ch_ram

Alright thanks man, I'll try to do that after work tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And you'll be connecting it to the fuel rail on a little schrader-type valve that is underneath a cap. Usually on the driver's side of the engine.

Quick Reply: power loss problem