2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best upgrade for pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckMagnumPower
Im thinking adding something to my pickup. Either a cold air intake or a chip. Which would be the best.

The current cover is an edelbrock circle air cleaner. Like the cheap chrome ones for $30 at napa.

Its an all stock 360 with a dual exhaust.

What would be the cost range of each, and what brand is recommended.
CAI is useless, so is a chip. You want a tuner, not a chip, especially if it's one of those "chips" off ebay promising 30+ MPG and 100+ hp.

Not sure I understand if your a "poor" college student why you would be wanting to spend money on mods. As stated, spend the money on maintenance items to keep the truck running properly till you get out of school. What do you want out of your truck? What are you looking for? Also, please post some details about your truck as requested.

We will try to keep this thread on topic, but being vague will only attract the trolls who like to post useless stuff in your thread and invariably lead to page after page of off topic posts.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about as mechanically stupid as they come, but would new O2 sensors really do anything for a true dual exhaust set up?

It runs really great for a 96. Immediate power when pressing the gas, so would new timing do anything either? What is the sign that it needs replaced?
New O2's will help in that they won't be clogged with crap and will be more accurate for the PCM to be able to tune the air/fuel mixture better. This = MO POWA. to an extent. Don't get your hopes up that it will be a huge difference, mostly a smoother power delivery and a tad more mileage.

If your idle is a tad jumpy, like a little bump that you feel every once in a while, that might be an indicator that the timing set needs to be replaced. My truck does it as well, as I have not replaced it yet.
A new timing set will make the engine smoother on everything.

jkeaton: I'm TRYING to be helpful here!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 PM
RedneckMagnumPower
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
So your saying you only came on here to ask questions because you were bored?

Heck if you want something to do that you won't regret in the future have a visit with Palmula & her five sisters. That should take up about 3 minutes of your time.

Where do you have your current upstream O2 sensor right now in your dual exhaust?
How are you figuring your MPG? Give us some history on your truck.
Year, Model, mods so far, mileage on engine, drivetrain, size of tires and other stuff like that. To make it easy you can ad all that in your profile sig and then you won't have to do it each time you ask a question.
I would have to check on the 02 sensors. I've had the truck all of 3-4 months. My mpg is based on full tank, set trip meter to zero, and next fill up miles driven over gallons used. 1996, Ram 1500, only mods would be the exhaust, 158,000 miles, 4 speed auto. I think you just got me a project for after class haha. Its sorta a ugly looking thing, it has a fiberglass stepside box, but I like it. Definitely catches peoples attention!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

I would have to check on the 02 sensors. I've had the truck all of 3-4 months. My mpg is based on full tank, set trip meter to zero, and next fill up miles driven over gallons used. 1996, Ram 1500, only mods would be the exhaust, 158,000 miles, 4 speed auto. I think you just got me a project for after class haha. Its sorta a ugly looking thing, it has a fiberglass stepside box, but I like it. Definitely catches peoples attention!
Pics of the step side or it didn't happen

Not to hard to check them, just have to unscrew them and look at them. Any carbon build-up or other kind of build up and they need to be replaced. Please disconnect the negative battery cable when replacing them to reset the pcm. NTK brand is recommended too stay away from Bosch's they cause issues.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Fiberglass stepside box? Post up some pics of that!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Some good things to do:

tune up: New o2 sensors, ntk or denso ONLY, brass contact dizzy cap, premium rotor, 8.5MM spark plug wires, champion copper plus or 2 ranges colder champion platinum, K+n air filter to replace factory filter in stock airbox, clean the throttle body, run CD grade or better engine oil with the oil filter used on the V10, put good non-low-silicate antifreeze in it, keep all fluids topped off with high-quality fluids and change them at proper intervals, keep tires aired to spec, make sure all rockers are tightened down properly, SCT Tune, etc.

Bad things to do:
CAI
Drive on flat tires
Never change fluids

My point here is, just doing the regular stuff with PREMIUM parts will do a heck of a lot more than you might think.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:17 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Fiberglass stepside box? Post up some pics of that!
Hah. You posted up what I was thinking, but didn't say.

Yeah, we're gonna need pictures of the truck.

Toll to the picture ******. Our advice isn't entirely free, you know.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:27 PM
RedneckMagnumPower
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Hah. You posted up what I was thinking, but didn't say.

Yeah, we're gonna need pictures of the truck.

Toll to the picture ******. Our advice isn't entirely free, you know.
Yeah, ill get some after class and put em up. I though I had it set as my profile pic, but I guess not. Maybe the pic ll be there if ya click on my profile. idunno. Its unique. It caught my eye, and that's why I bought it after I got hit by some damn outta staters.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
RedneckMagnumPower
Rookie

^Damn that's funny^

I went out and checked my oil real quick and was gonna check the timing chain, then I realized, I don't know what the **** I'm doing. How do I check that? I think its in pretty good shape. Its a solid running vehicle. It'll outrun a 318 Dakota or a 350 chevy vortec, easy. Also, it has an aftermarket tranny that a couple of my friends put in. They didn't wanna waste it. It also doesn't burn oil, which is nice.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:55 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^Damn that's funny^

I went out and checked my oil real quick and was gonna check the timing chain, then I realized, I don't know what the **** I'm doing. How do I check that? I think its in pretty good shape. Its a solid running vehicle. It'll outrun a 318 Dakota or a 350 chevy vortec, easy. Also, it has an aftermarket tranny that a couple of my friends put in. They didn't wanna waste it. It also doesn't burn oil, which is nice.
I must admit, I LOL'd at that.

You CAN check it, but it's a pain in the ***. You take the disty cap off, get a big breaker bar, pull the fuel pump relay, and start turning the crank while watching the disty rotor. Basically, if there's any huge amount of slop in it, you'll notice it.

Quick Reply: Best upgrade for pickup?