DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Best upgrade for pickup? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/362152-best-upgrade-for-pickup.html)

RedneckMagnumPower 09-03-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by dodge dude94 (Post 3070379)
I must admit, I LOL'd at that.

You CAN check it, but it's a pain in the ass. You take the disty cap off, get a big breaker bar, pull the fuel pump relay, and start turning the crank while watching the disty rotor. Basically, if there's any huge amount of slop in it, you'll notice it.

I would probably have to wait and do that when I get home. I would imagine that its in good shape. When Idling, its a consistent, smooth, idle. No jumps, not even the slightest. It runs like a brand new motor, and it gets its oil AND filter changed every 3000 miles. I also use that lucas oil stabilizer. It made my old vehicles (71 dodge 318, and 76 ford 390) run a little smoother, so I figure it must work.

Gary-L 09-03-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by RedneckMagnumPower (Post 3070376)
^Damn that's funny^

I went out and checked my oil real quick and was gonna check the timing chain, then I realized, I don't know what the **** I'm doing. How do I check that? I think its in pretty good shape. Its a solid running vehicle. It'll outrun a 318 Dakota or a 350 chevy vortec, easy. Also, it has an aftermarket tranny that a couple of my friends put in. They didn't wanna waste it. It also doesn't burn oil, which is nice.

http://andsoithascometothis.com/wp-c...-stupidity.jpg

You need to download the Field Service Manual and also buy a repair manual and learn the basics of maintenance before plowing into a bunch of modifications. ESPECIALLY if you're a "poor college student".

dodge dude94 09-03-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by RedneckMagnumPower (Post 3070384)
I would probably have to wait and do that when I get home. I would imagine that its in good shape. When Idling, its a consistent, smooth, idle. No jumps, not even the slightest. It runs like a brand new motor, and it gets its oil AND filter changed every 3000 miles. I also use that lucas oil stabilizer. It made my old vehicles (71 dodge 318, and 76 ford 390) run a little smoother, so I figure it must work.

Don't bother with the Lucas in these engines.

While this engine is an old school engine, it's not as old school as the engines you're speaking of. Just run a good quality oil and a filter. If it idles nice and runs well. Just keep it tuned up until you can get money, then start doing mods.

RedneckMagnumPower 09-03-2013 01:14 PM

Yeah. By poor college student, I meant that I can't afford to do a lot. Like, I can't go out and buy 10 different things. As it stands, everything is good on it, so I can afford to do something nice to it, but just one thing. ,it has a new tranny, so I don't need to worry about the fluid for long time, the radiator fluid was changed before I bought it, the ac needs recharged, but Ill wait until next summer and buy a can of r134a. New spark plugs, wires, and most importantly, I topped off the blinker fluid the other day so my blinkers are good for another 50,000 miles.

Maybe I should invest in an oil pressure guage. Mine is all messed up, and my fuel guage is messed up to. The oil pressure always reads zero and occasionally jumps to 40. But if it was really zero, then it wouldn't be running, right? and the gas, If I fill up to full, it goes from f to e in 70 miles, then goes to quarter and starts going down when Im starting to go under a quarter tank lol.

HeyYou 09-03-2013 02:23 PM

It will run without oil pressure, just not very long, and certainly not very well. Tends to make really rude noises, and then quit.... and you are done.

You can probably fix that simply by changing the oil pressure sensor. It's back behind the intake manifold, right next to the distributor. Unplug it, unscrew it, screw the new one in, plug it in, and you are done. Once you figure out how to get tools back there, it's easy. :) The coil 'OPS Socket' is nice, but, I have a difficult time justifying 15 bucks for a tool I will use ONCE......

RedneckMagnumPower 09-03-2013 05:21 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Here da pictures I hope

dodge dude94 09-03-2013 05:23 PM

Get some bodywork done on that thing and it'll look slick.

aofarrell2 09-03-2013 05:25 PM

It's a chevy box, isnt it?

dodge dude94 09-03-2013 05:27 PM

I think he had said earlier that it's a fiberglass box.

zman17 09-03-2013 05:33 PM

Yes, looks like a modded chevy box. And not a real good job at that. And please, we don't need 3 more pages about the box. He likes it, nuff said. ;)