2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 idles at 1000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:50 PM
cdbj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 idles at 1000rpm

hello i am new to dodge let alone dodge forum. just bought 1997 dodge ram 1500 laramie 5.2l. i really like the truck. i have always had chevy and ford. the guy i got it from wasnt very good at taking care of it. i plan on making all the repairs myself. i cant afford to pay someone else, plus, its better that way. a tune up is where i am starting but the engine has i high idle that i cant figure out. i have checked for vacuum leaks and intake with carb cleaner and even tried a little starting fluid. i cleaned and gapped the spark plugs(they had white fuzzy hard coat), replaced pcv, replaced some vacuum hoses, and cleaned off throttle body and linkage. when i pulled out pcv i checked breather on other valve cover and it still had a significant vacuum that did not seem to change with throttle opened. when i plug the breather the idle drops right down to about 6-700rpm. wondering if intake gasket has failed inside and sucking from top of engine. no smoke, no codes, no lights. runs good.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like maybe the intake gasket on the manifold blew out. if he didnt take care of it, then your prob gonna need to replace the plenum anyway, and id bet it probs still has the worthless cork style gaskets, replace it with the felpro kit, and fix the plenum all at once. you would prob wanna do the tune up at the same time so you can easily access the distributor better and everything. and if you decide to replace the upstream o2 also, use a ntk brand. plugs use copper plugs, these engine dont like the platinum's.

www.hughesengines.com for the plenum kit and all that or you can look on ebay.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The high idle could be a dirty IAC on back of the the TB. Try cleaning it https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

And please disconnect the negative battery before cleaning or replacing any sensors. Also go to the FAQ/DIY section and download the free service manual for your year truck and get a Haynes manual as well. You won't be sorry in doing so.,

Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 PM
cdbj
Default free manual?

i can not find free manuals for this truck 97 1500. i am really thinking blown intake gasket. it was what my first intuition said even before i bought truck. what threw me off was no reaction to spray along outer edge, but, if the bad gasket is inside it would draw intake from engine. it does appear to use a little oil, no smoke at all though. i will do valve cover gaskets and valve adjustments(if any) and cap and rotor at same time. where is o2? what else while intake is off?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt hurt to do the timing chain and water pump at the same time either, since you gotta take off the accessory bracket anyway, its all out of the way and its literally like 7 bolts to get them off. the timing chain sprockets have keyways so its super easy to do them without the worry of being off. its dummy proof.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
lwiuff
Amateur

Cdbj - There is a link to the service manual and parts manual in the DYI section. Look for "2nd Generation Dodge Ram Service Manuals" in there. Really helpful. I fixed my 2nd gear issue (front band anchor fell off) using the parts and service manuals last weekend. I'm not a wrench puller, but the manuals help a great deal.

Quick Reply: 5.2 idles at 1000rpm