2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 AM
thunderheart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lighting

Hi, just herd about DF, and checked it out, now here I am. I need help troubleshooting a problem
with the dome light and map light on my '01 Ram. I accidently hit a good sized pot hole one day,
and the dome light and the two map light suddenly came on, and they STAYED ON. I initially thought it might have jarred a door switch loose, but after I readjusted the switches, the problem still remains. I don't have anymore ideas beyond that. Maybe someone in DF might, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2005, 02:46 AM
richardmoore
Professional
Default RE: interior lighting

Could be a loose wire and the bumb jarred it back into place check the wires going into the light.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:27 PM
thunderheart

I checked the wires and the wire harnesses, They seem to be fine. I also replaced the whole overhead console just to see what it does
and the same problem is still occurring. I, now, have removed both the door ajar switches and the lights are still on. I will happily
welcome more ideas, please, because I have no more ideas, myself. Thanks, richardmoore.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:23 PM
draftingmonkey
Captain

I pulled out my manual for my '01 Ram and the dome light and map light join at a connector that leads to the headlamp switch. You might check to see if the wires were jarred at the switch or if the switch itself may be damaged (stranger things can happen).

Electrical problems are a pain. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:10 AM
Tani1500
Champion

it could also be the switch for the headlights. correct me if im wrong but all rams have that same switch or no.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:43 PM
thunderheart

thank you draftingmonkey, and also Tani1500. I'll check it out and see what happens. I'll let you guys know. See you back at DF.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:39 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Tani1500
it could also be the switch for the headlights. correct me if im wrong but all rams have that same switch or no.
No, all the switches are not the same. I believe they changed them for the 98+ model years. I can't quite remember for sure if that was the year. I remember it was discussed in several threads about re-wiring the truck for simultaneous hi-beam/low-beam operation.

I believe the diesels also had a different switch from the gassers.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

No, all the switches are not the same. I believe they changed them for the 98+ model years. I can't quite remember for sure if that was the year. I remember it was discussed in several threads about re-wiring the truck for simultaneous hi-beam/low-beam operation.

I believe the diesels also had a different switch from the gassers.
yea, but arnt they all on the same thing meaning the switch that you turn? what ever.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

yea, but arnt they all on the same thing meaning the switch that you turn? what ever.
No...that's one of the things that's different. There was a pull style switch, which the older trucks have. There was also a dial type switch, which the newere ones have IIRC. Maybe I didn't understand your comment [>:]

Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 AM
richardmoore
Professional

No prob, how hard was it to take down your headliner? I'm thinking of putting orange marker lights across the top of my truck like the 2500's have but I don't feel like taking the headliner down.

Quick Reply: interior lighting