2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dropped Driveshaft, Snapped T-Case from O/D, Going Down Hwy

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped Driveshaft, Snapped T-Case from O/D, Going Down Hwy

Yesterday as I was heading home for a errand I noticed my RPM's move up and down ever so slightly, Then all of a sudden I hear what sounded like metal in a blender and parts go flying out the back of the truck through the rearveiw mirror, Managed to get it pulled over & went to put it in park, Grinded, Shut off the truck and put the four ways on and got out to see what happened, Forgot to get a picture of the T-Case hanging as I was freaking out at the time. No idea what happened, but the T-Case snapped the O/D Housing off where it bolts on, Snapped the rear ujoint bolts, Threw the driveshaft around under the truck, And left the T-case hanging by the linkage going to the shifter.

Will get pics of the O/D and pinion, Any ideas what happened? I allready swapped a diff O/D and T-case/Drive shaft, Thing that sucks, The new t-case has a different shift pattern.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

and I had removed the nuts after it dropped as I reused em for the new/used t-case

Old 10-07-2013, 02:51 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

It had new ujoints on the rear, And were greased within the last two weeks as well as when they were installed about a month or so ago. It seems this truck has been in the shop more then I have been driving it. Almost considering selling it off.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're not the first nor will you be the last this has happened to, same thing it just blew up. Is the t case in working order or is it seized up in any form? You could pull the rear housing off the t case and see if the c clip came off the shaft.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

I can rotate the t-case by hand, So I would assume its free? And notice the ujoint is MIA on the drive shaft,

Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One guys t case split in half and the od unit was fine another guy case split in half and ripped off the od unit like you (he went through two case at least). I hate the way the case is just out there unsupported.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Looks like improper U-joint installation or defective U-joint caused this issue. I had a similar issue occur many years ago when I had a U-joint installed by a friend. The C-clip was not fully seated on one side, which allowed the U-joint bearing cap to come loose and allow the driveshaft to **** at a steep angle. It snapped the rear housing of my 727 transmission clean off and bent the transmission output shaft.

Quick Reply: Dropped Driveshaft, Snapped T-Case from O/D, Going Down Hwy