2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Seatbelt Warning/Chime?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Seatbelt Warning/Chime?

I noticed today that my seatbelt light comes on when I start the car, but will not come on/go off when driving if not buckled, I have checked all the harnesses and plugs, and they are all connected, and seem to be okay, is there a fuse that ties into the seatbelt system I can check?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on the later models, probably 98-01, end-of-dash fuse #13 for power locks also provides power to the CTM, which operates all the warning chimes including seat belt, key in ignition and door open, and low fuel. it also controls the intermittent wiper timing adjustment.

make sure its not missing or blown.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ers-again.html

Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
on the later models, probably 98-01, end-of-dash fuse #13 for power locks also provides power to the CTM, which operates all the warning chimes including seat belt, key in ignition and door open, and low fuel. it also controls the intermittent wiper timing adjustment.

make sure its not missing or blown.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ers-again.html
I pulled the power seat fuse and put it back in and now when I have the seatbelt on and start the car, there is no chime, but if I start the car without one on it will chime 6 times then shut off, or shut off sooner if I buckle up before 6 chimes, but it will not go off if I drive without the belt on, nor will the light come on letting me know it's unbuckled? The light works, as it lights up with the car, or is this the only warning system for the seatbelt in the 2000 Dodge Ram?

I checked all the connectors under the seat, they all work and are supplied power, checked by unplugging them individually and checking which power seat functions didn't work, checked the power seat fuse, checked the light behind the seatbelt warning, it works, as it comes on when the car starts, so what else am I needing to check?

EDIT: Just took a quick look through the 2001 model manual, and their seatbelt warning system is the same way, it will chime for 7 seconds every time the ignition is set to (on), and that's it, it didn't say anything about going off while driving.

Further in the book with info on the cluster guage says it should stay on until a connection is made, but when a connection isn't made it doesn't stay on? Should I check the thing behind the drivers seat in the side panel where the seatbelt comes out? That seem's to be what triggers the chime going on or off before 7 seconds.

Checked plug behind side door panel, it's plugged in and works, so I think the 2000 Dodge Ram just sets off 7 chimes when the car starts, and thats it, no other warnings.

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 10-23-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Okay, re-reading the manual, it seems that if the seatbelt is disengaged, the light will come on, but it doesn't so the problem has to be somewhere with the belt mechanism itself? What is all used in detecting that the seatbelt is buckled? Inside the side panel there is a ground wire coming from the seatbelt retractor plug, that is plugged into the belt itself, should I unscrew, clean and rescrew that ground in? Or what could it be preventing the light from detecting that the seatbelt has been buckled.

Here it is a bit clearer:

If seatbelt is unbuckled turn car to (on) truck chimes for seven seconds unless I pull at the seatbelt to put it on, then it stops, then there is no further light, the light only comes on when starting the vehicle. Checked all wires under seat, all provide the correct power, and are working, checked what I believe to be the seat belt switch, a small plug on the seatbelt retractor on the drivers side panel behind the seat behind the plastic, if unplugged, regardless of seatbelt unplugged or plugged will chime for seven seconds, so it has power, somehow it seems maybe the wire isn't getting proper ground maybe? And this is causing it not to warn me if the seatbelt is unbuckled after driving? There is a ground wire running up the side of the panel where the wire is, and maybe that is what judges if the belt is buckled or not? I plan on giving that a shot tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why in the hell is this such a problem? The less of those god-awful seatbelt dings and flashing lights and warnings, the better in my opinion. Annoying as crap when I'm in my parents car....I wear my seatbelt normally, but if I'm driving 3 minutes down the road going less than 30 mph, I don't want to hear the car freaking out because I decided not to buckle the stupid thing.

Anyways, you're right, there is not continued chime when the belt is unbuckled while driving. That light on the dash should remain on though...my first suspect would be the buckle that's attached to the bottom part of the seat...if it's not difficult to replace, I would try one out of a junkyard just to eliminate that as a possibility

Quick Reply: No Seatbelt Warning/Chime?