2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heat not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 PM
byronpen
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat not working

I cant get my heat to work. Ive replace the heater core, cleaned out the heating system. The actuator on the left side of the passenger seat is turning that door. is there another area i need to be checking. The vacuum lines look like there in good shape.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

verify that engine is getting up to normal temp, and that the top radiator hose is too hot to hold. ~180-190*. next check both heater hoses. they should also be too hot to hold. i don't remember which side is the hottest, passenger or drivers, but both should be hot and one is a smidgen hotter than the other.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:32 PM
byronpen
Veteran

oh there hot. I can also feel the heat in the heater core. But the heat will not come out any vent top or bottom or defrost

Old 10-26-2013, 04:14 AM
Darren270
Rookie

I'm having a similar problem with mine. Did everything the OP did as well. If I turn the fan off you can feel heat radiating out of the vents. But about 20-30 secs after you turn on the fan at any speed, the heat turns to a cool-room temp/luke-warm temp. I'm not sure what else I can do/check.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by byronpen
oh there hot. I can also feel the heat in the heater core. But the heat will not come out any vent top or bottom or defrost
does the blower/fan run at any of the speed settings?
is it blowing cold air?
if so the temperature blend door is not directing the air across the heater core. it's probably stuck in the AC position. i've fixed these in a Jeep and a Ford, but have not yet cut open a Dodge, so I don't know where to tell you to look. google "heater treater" and see if he offers a fix for a dodge ram. don't necessarily buy it yet, but read the instructions and watch his videos. they're all similar, and all break the same way, but some are harder to get to than others. on the ford explorer, i bought a dorman replacement blend door for half the price of the heater treater.

does the temperature dial have any affect?

and one last quick fix. set the AC control to AC Max, and set the temp dial to hottest, and blower to high speed. any heat coming out the center AC vents?

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-26-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Due to not having used heat for years, my blend door had stuck to the seal, whereby not opening and allowing heat into the cab.
After much cycling of the switch over several days, it finally let go and started working... this also lead to chunks of foam seal coming out the vents.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by byronpen
Are you sure the door is moving and not just the electric motor? When you turn the vent dial to floor/defrost/ front panel, does air blow out ? Just not hot?

Old 10-26-2013, 05:53 PM
byronpen
Veteran

Im going to rip into this in the morning, I work 2nd I hope thats the fix needed

Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 AM
adam8781

literally had this problem on a 01 dodge 2500 i bought last week, and up here in the yukon there is already snow. After i back flushed the heater core with no success i went under the passenger side dash and tapped everything with the handle of a screwdriver. Bam, freed up the door and now it switches from hot to cold. Might be worth a try.

Quick Reply: Heat not working