2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help on my 1998 ram 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 AM
tpatterson84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on my 1998 ram 5.2

What's up everybody I am new here and I was wondering what I would have to do to take off my cat converter obviously I would cut and put a straight in back to my flow master duels. But does this increase gas milage or decrease? And will I have enough back pressure? Also will I have to weld a straight pipe or do exhaust clamps work? Sorry if I sound dumb or inexperienced, most the time I don't do my own work since I don't have a garage anymore (college). Checkout my truck on YouTube if you want just type in Tyler Patterson Powell wy.thanks for the help everyone!! Ram brotherhood oh and also will this have any effects on my engine? I live in Wyoming no emissions.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A slight loss in low end torque (negligible) and a CEL from the rear O2 sensor because of higher (out of spec) emissions. Other than that, nothing really.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if cat is clogged up, it will fix your problem. if its not clogged up, there will be no change in how it runs. ...provided you reinstall your O2,

there will be no change in gas mileage, either way.

the problems you will encounter are:
1. the precat o2 is in the cat, and you must reinstall it in your replacement pipe, so you need a bung.

2. the shape and size of your cat is not consistent. depending on year, its either a 2-in, 1-out, or it has a formed Y pipe of 3 inches on input and 2.5 on output. so you have to be creative with your pipe...
or buy the jegs Y-pipe.

if you're tempted to gut it, i'd recommend you not - the hollow can it leaves behind - i think it sounds like ****.
be aware that you can sell the old cat for $75 on the internet w/free shipping.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

While I don't condone taking out your cat since there are high performance replacement ones you can get now.
Here is a link to how to build a fooler for the rear O2 sensor so you don't have that check engine light anymore.
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html

Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM
tpatterson84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. Thinking about not doing it now.

Quick Reply: help on my 1998 ram 5.2