2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I have heat!! 1999 1500, 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 PM
btravlin2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have heat!! 1999 1500, 5.2

I'm starting a new thread because the subject matter regarding my heater has changed. Yesterday I thought I would do the flush first, burp, and then check the blend motor plastic connector. Instead, I decided to start with the blend motor and door.

I found the plastic connector intact and solid. So I manually changed the blend door position, and, voila, heat. So I troubleshot the motor and found there is no power to it.

I've checked all fuses. I want to get to the back of the temp dial, but don't know how to get that panel out.

Any ideas on what I should do next to get my blend motor back?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by btravlin2
I'm starting a new thread because the subject matter regarding my heater has changed. Yesterday I thought I would do the flush first, burp, and then check the blend motor plastic connector. Instead, I decided to start with the blend motor and door.

I found the plastic connector intact and solid. So I manually changed the blend door position, and, voila, heat. So I troubleshot the motor and found there is no power to it.

I've checked all fuses. I want to get to the back of the temp dial, but don't know how to get that panel out.

Any ideas on what I should do next to get my blend motor back?

Getting to the back of the HVAC control panel is very easy but you have to pop the dash face off...which is clipped in. There may be a screw holding the upper right corner in, mine was behind a cigarette lighter door. Tilt the column all the way down, grab the dash face on that upper protruding edge, and pull straight out towards yourself. You'll get the idea once a few clips release.

Once you have that dash face off, the HVAC controls are only held in with two screws.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

If you have re-installed your blend door motor without indexing it (initializing) you will have a broken blend door real soon. The motor has a specific setup to read and find the open and closed settings. Otherwise it just runs until it jams the door and breaks the plastic nipple. Trust me, I just did this. Had to order the heatertreater.com piece with instructions. The control panel has some connectors and the top vacuum hoses. Those have two tiny nuts holding it on then wiggle the connection loose.

Quick Reply: I have heat!! 1999 1500, 5.2