2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turning over but not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:55 PM
CrimsonTide1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning over but not start

I have a 2000 Ram 1500 Sport with the 5.2 V*.

I tried starting it this part weekend and it was turning over, just not starting. I tested the spark directly from the ignition coil and that is functional. I pulled a plug wire off the plug and stuck the screw driver up the boot of the wire and didn't get popped when we tried cranking the truck.

Any ideas, my initial thought is the rotor/cap for the distributer, but is there something else I might be missing like a sensor or a relay?

Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide1500
I have a 2000 Ram 1500 Sport with the 5.2 V*.

I pulled a plug wire off the plug and stuck the screw driver up the boot of the wire and didn't get popped when we tried cranking the truck.
Is that the proper way of testing? Sounds like the proper way of death...why don't you try taking the spark plug out of the head but leave it in the boot and touch it against the block or head and then try cranking to see if you get spark or see what color spark you have. But hold it in the safest way possible to where you aren't going to get shocked. If your coil is working, then I'd be looking at dist cap and rotor. Make sure plug wires are routed per TSB on here too.

Quick Reply: Turning over but not start