2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant loss when engine is off....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 05:53 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant loss when engine is off....

Hey guys!

Been driving my 94 lately a little more, and today it sprung an antifreeze leak, after I shut it off. I started it again to see where it was coming from and it stopped leaking almost immediately. Looks like it's coming from around the water pump somewhere, but thanx to my plow carriage I couldn't pinpoint it. it leaks maybe half a pint right after shutting it off.

I topped off my rad and drove it home watching the temp gauge and it ran normal heat...it was 7F here today so kinda cold, and when I shut the truck at home there was no leaks.....

It's dripping right above the trac bar sleeve... Any pointers? Downpipe maybe?

Thanx!!

1994 360 2500

Old 12-13-2013, 06:42 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

Pressure test the system, the tool can be rented from an auto parts store, it attaches to the radiator and you pump it up to about 15psi. Should be apparent where the leak is coming from then.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Based upon your description, leaks of that sort are likely coming from the water pump bypass hose (bad hose and/or loose clamps), the water pump itself or the front cover gasket. To pinpoint the exact leak, its best to pressure test the cooling system as was mentioned.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if your water pump is old, over 100,000 miles, the seal around the shaft is likely worn out, and the water pump will need replacement soon.

common behavior is for it to leak only a smidgen while its running and temperature is normal and pressure is normal. then once you stop - the engine heats up a little more for about 15-30 minutes, and pressure increases, and the water pump leaks. as it cools down a little, the pressure bleeds off and it quits leaking.

if its doing this, it will gradually get a little worse. as long as you top it off regularly and keep the system full, you can get live with it for awhile if you need to, especially in cold weather.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:17 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ This.

I now have a garage full of fun new parts to replace my leaky water pump just waiting for a warm-ish day and some time off work.

When you replace the pump, replace/upgrade the timing chain as well.

Mine will be getting a new pump, double roller timing set, plenum fix, new hoses, and a fan clutch (no e-fans for me. ) Power steering fixes too, but that's another issue.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:01 AM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Thanks guys!!

Yeah the pump is as old as the truck, and it's got 180 000 miles on the ticker....but with days like today, -7F, there's no way I'm taking that sumbitch out anytime soon loll.. I need to redo the plenum, because when I did it the first time I got the replacement gasket and left the stupid metal plate in there....because I didn't have helpful DF pals to tell me otherwise so I guess come spring it's gonna be overhaulin' time ( If Chip Foose is reading this, I'll gladly give him the challenge of a lifetime with this Ram loll)

Old 12-14-2013, 10:34 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

-7 F. dammit that's cold. if it was you i'd fix up several gallon jugs of 50/50 af mix and carry it around in the back of the truck. top it off on a regular basis and monitor it and see if you can manage it for awhile.

NEVER OPEN RADIATOR CAP HOT. see if you can fill overflow tank and get it to suck it in on the cool down. it probably won't work but its worth one try.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

I really wish these trucks had a low coolant light...

Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Soooooo, it was a "nice" 4F degree out today and I decided to do my pump......

Pulled it out without a hitch except the rotten downpipe (that I didn't have because back order),found one, got the whole shabang together and it went good. 3 hours total without the trip to another part store. Runs like a top and no leak. Go to get my core deposit back and no radio.

Strange...... Checked the fuse, replaced it just to be safe: no tunes. On the way back....it starts blaring the god damned Alanis Morissette cd one of my old drivers left behind. ( it's a Canadian thing, don't ask loll). I get the damn thing out the cd player and in the box thru the slider and set the station and it cuts off again. Cant get it to turn on.

Get home, shut the lights and notice the radio lights come on, but kinda dim, and nothing works.

Wonder what I dinged in there that could cause that....
I really dont think I nicked any wires because theres no electrical arount there. Any ideas?

Also, I tried to do the thermostat but even with the torches on the bolts wont budge. What do I need ready if I break a bolt in there? Easy outs? Any tricks of the trade??

Thanx!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

They will come out try PB blaster for a few days in a row, loosen/tighten repeat and slowly back it out, if it breaks it's way better to break it with some threads sticking out. Don't bother with heat, you won't get anywhere but you may want to do this while the truck is still hot. I almost never say that but a 5.2 jeep I did I got it out but doing it while it was still pretty hot. Of course, take great care, the coolant will be hot enough to pretty much wreck your whole month if you get it on you.

Quick Reply: Coolant loss when engine is off....