2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine making "ticking" noise upon startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 PM
FarringtonAdam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine making "ticking" noise upon startup

Alright so my 98 1500 318 took a crap so I ended up purchasing a 01 2500 360. I've been transferring aftermarket parts and what not from my old to the new along with fixing my check engine light problems. The only code I have left is p0442 which use to be a
P0445. Anyways, I'm in the process of clearing the codes on that problem to see if I've fixed it. MY NEW PROBLEM: Is that the engine had started to make a "ticking" sound. It is not consistent with the engine RPM's but if you rev it, the "ticking" gets a little louder and faster. I've read a ton of other threads and they all seem to end without a conclusion so I figured I would start my own. The "ticking"
seems to go away after warmup or atleast gets quiet. Also it seems as if it has been getting louder since it started about a week ago. Anything helps and if you have questions I can do my best to answer them or go find out the answer on my truck.. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not consistent with rpm but if you rev it gets louder and faster? Sound consistent to me

Amyway, my first thought is lifters. But an exhaust leak could sound exactly like that also.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 AM
FarringtonAdam

It just doesn't seem as fast, idk but I'm most likely wrong.
It sounds just like an exhaust leak. Just started to make the noise about 4-5 days ago. Started as a soft tick and now It's loud enough to worry

Thanks

Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 AM
FarringtonAdam

Excuse me but I'm what they call "mechanically handicapped"

Old 12-18-2013, 07:04 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

use a short piece of pipe as a stethoscope, listen at the intake, valve covers, head, exhaust manifold, etc to see where its louder.

other things that can tick are the idler pulley, tensioner, water pump.

BE CAREFUL OF MOVING PARTS !!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM
sniper dave
Professional

I had this on my truck for a very long and frustrating time....I took it to a reputable shop and in seconds they found it. Exhaust leak at the manifold. The bolts were rusted and sheared

Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

I was worried about ticking a few years ago, manifold was cracked. Headers solved that issue.

Quick Reply: Engine making "ticking" noise upon startup