2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems - Backfire, Trans slipping? No Power.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014 | 09:17 PM
jafch1
|
Default Problems - Backfire, Trans slipping? No Power.

Hey Guys!

I just picked myself up a 1999 Ram 2500 V10, great truck with only 160k on it. I am in the process of doing reconditioning on it, and in the few times I have driven it I have found a problem!

Here are my issues:
- Push gas and it revs but hardly moves (feels like the trans is slipping)
- While cruising its fine, however give it even a little gas to speed up and the tach drops and it won't downshift. It just feels like its stuck! Dig the pedal to the ground and VROOM here we go! The truck takes off.
- Pump the pedal a little (while in drive), thinking it would help and it backfires through the exhaust.
- Idles fine.
- When in Neutral and you give it gas, its perfectly fine.
- When the truck is cold, its fine no problems. Once you drive it somewhere and it has had a chance to warm up, thats when the problems begin.

On a side note, I did check the trans fluid after I had driven back home with this condition and the dip stick read normal, however the fluid had bubbles on it.
All the gears work fine, the only odd thing I notice is when I put it into Drive it goes in pretty hard.

Any idea what it could be?

Im hoping someone can lead me in the right direction before i start buying, Cats, O2 sensors, TPS sensors, Tranny filters, and other stuff I could save from buying.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Problems - Backfire, Trans slipping? No Power.