2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tail light problem- 3 days searching

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:20 PM
whiteknight2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light problem- 3 days searching

OK,
So I am new to this forum. I have been activly searching for an answer to my issue for the past 3 days with NO LUCK!! Finally I am resorting to actually asking my question.

Setup- I just bought a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 SLT Lariet, 318 with an apparent 3 inch body lift....

Issue- I have a rather complex driver side tail light problem. No matter what I do, I have 0 tag lighting. When I turn the headlights on, the running lights work fine. When I use the left turn signal, the left reverse light flashes along with the right reverse light. There are other scenarios with mixed results using the left turn signal. The front signals work fine. I have replaced the fuses. Checked and re-wired the ground. Replaced the flasher relay. Replaced the bulbs. Swapped the left and right rear signal assembly and the issue reamins on the left side.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 PM
whiteknight2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just finished replacing the front right caliper which was locking up on me. Brakes are working fine.... but now the TPS has gone out and I am idling at around 2K... the joys of buying a used truck are endless . Don't get me wrong, it has a strong engin and the tranny was rebuilt 2 months before I bought it... just need to nit-pick until I get it right.

Any advice on the lights would be welcome.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whiteknight2010
the joys of buying a used truck are endless

Any advice on the lights would be welcome.
Man ain't that the truth...you never quite know what you're going to get with a used truck, especially one that is as old as the 2nd gen rams now are. In any case, it sounds like you have a ground issue that was probably caused by the body lift somewhere along the line. Maybe check the connections for the license plate lights? I messed mine up when I was removing the bed to do a fuel pump job and that did all sorts of funny things with my tail lights. Chasing wiring problems is the worst man good luck to ya

Quick Reply: Tail light problem- 3 days searching