2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head gasket leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 PM
QuadCab318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket leak?

For the past year whenever I drive somewhere with my 98' 1500 ram the coolant drops considerably, almost empting the overflow container when it was filled to where it is suppost to be when I started to drive it. The coolant seems to be leaking from the back of the engine because there is coolant all over in between the transmission bellhousing an the rear of the oil pan. I thought it might be the drain bolts on the enigne block but they are rusted tight and that area is dry. Also the rest of the oil pan is dry. Only a little of the coolant lost is on the ground, where is the rest going? Where could the leak be?

Old 10-17-2005, 10:12 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Head gasket leak?

Any coolant in oil? I would get an adjustable mechanics mirror and look at the back of heads and around intake manifold paying close attention to where the water jackets/seals are....do it when its hot and pressure is up so you can see the leaks..I feel for ya I just went through alot with my 99 to get the leaks stoped....had to pull timing chain cover, gasket was blown right where the waterpump attaches to the cover but on backside of timing chain cover....basically had to tear down front of motor. If your lucky its just the intake....best of luck

Quick Reply: Head gasket leak?