2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Surge

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:06 PM
Dakota1089
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Surge

Its me again , hope your not sick of me yet.

So i put a few miles on my 99 ram today pulling my dads boat out to his new house. Well another minor issues arose. While driving on the freeway with OD off around 60-65 the engine started surging up 1-200 rpm. Now it would happen pretty frequent then not happen for a few miles then happen again. Very sporadic and on and off etc... So after a solid 40 miles or so it was time to pull of the freeway and make my exit so i did and pulled into a lot to check fluids etc... Well after i pulled off and did that the truck wouldn't want to idle in drive or park, it just slowly died. Started up good and took some gas to keep it going until i hit the freeway and it drove fine except the random surges. Basically it did that all day and the wanting to die only happened a few times when slowing or coming to a stop? Now i know the sending unit is not providing enough pressure during startup because i have to do the 10 second prime then 2nd start to get it going, which my 01 dakota did too. So I'm thinking this problem is fuel pressure related? Maybe regulator.

Any thoughts...

Quick Reply: Engine Surge