2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

adjusting rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 PM
studders
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting rear brakes

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9L and I was wondering if the rear shoea were self adjusting. I had to loosen them up with the star to get the drum off awhile back. So do they self adjust when I press the brakes or I need to tighten it back up. Also I need to bleed the whole system. I have done it before but years ago. I can't remember what line to loosen up on the combination and rwal valve. A little detail would be helpful. Thanks

Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

The rear brakes self-adjust under normal conditions. You should adjust the brakes at the star adjuster until they barely rub the drum when turning the wheel.

As for bleeding the brakes, I bleed them at each wheel's bleeder valve for best results. I start at the rear passenger side, then the rear driver's side, then the front passenger side and last the front driver's side. Be sure to keep the master cylinder full of brake fluid during the process. I use DOT4 rated brake fluid for optimal performance.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 PM
studders
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, then that's what I will do.

Quick Reply: adjusting rear brakes