2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mystery power issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Lobo88
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystery power issue

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport and have owned for almost two years. Im having an issue with getting power to the rear wheels. when floored from a stop just doesnt seem to get up off its a** like it should. doesn't seem to want to break them loose on gravel! (it does though).

Truck seems to have a VERY slight miss. noone else really notices it which is making it a p.i.t.a. to figure out.

Things ive replaced since ive had it to help narrow it down -

Remanufactured long block with about 12k miles
new tps,MAP, IAC ( iac is also clean)

new spark plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor (all within the last few months)

superchips flashpaq on 91 octane setting
52mm Throttle body by Fastman
new 3" single exhaust from y pipe back
Have fixed the p.o.s. plenum issue with the hughes kit. also recently checked and no oil in intake.
new egr valve and grommet from dodge dealership.
also idk if it matters but i have a spectre cai.

im sure ive missed something but i think ive got most of it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the crank shaft position sensor ?. They can go bad but not always throw a code when they do.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Lobo88
Amateur

ive looked everywhere online about the cps but all the responses are saying the vehicle in question normally wont start or stalls. can a cps cause performance issues without the aforementioned?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I had a random miss, that got worse over a year or so... might happen once in 60miles, or three or four times in a row... sometimes a cough in the intake, sometimes a pop in the exhaust, and some times nothing (hesitate).

Changed the CPS and it is like new... no missing, clean smooth idle, better acceleration... a whole new engine.

If your CPS has high miles, change it.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Lobo88
Amateur

Originally Posted by Spillage
I had a random miss, that got worse over a year or so... might happen once in 60miles, or three or four times in a row... sometimes a cough in the intake, sometimes a pop in the exhaust, and some times nothing (hesitate).

Changed the CPS and it is like new... no missing, clean smooth idle, better acceleration... a whole new engine.

If your CPS has high miles, change it.
Alright ill get it swapped out first thing friday morning. Ill give an update after i get it swapped out. Ty guys

Quick Reply: mystery power issue