2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rattle Rattle under my feet think i know what it is

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 PM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle Rattle under my feet think i know what it is

Ok so had my truck up on the lift today for a few hours I put a new steering box on it a new steering shaft on it replaced tranny pan gasket/ filter and did all the fluids and replaced the tranny mount and i spent hours with a pry bar and torque wrench checking everything i have a rattle under my feet and in the steering wheel when going over bumps and yes shocks are tight everything is new and tight on the front end what i found is that if i grab the steering column at the firewall under the hood it moves around a bit and yes i have that bushing installed on the column its not rattling there its the actual column, also my shift linkage from the column all the way to the tranny is rattling and my fender liner is rattling ive looked all over online for any fixes for these items and no luck im gonna drill out the plastic clips and run bolts and washers on the fender liner all the columns on dodges at our local junkyard are as crappy as mine and i can not find any info on the linkages as in new linkage or any replaceable items on the linkage if anyone has ideas or have fixed this please chime in thanks.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i made sure the shocks were tight, replaced all the bushings on the shift linkage made sure the control arms were tight and drilled out the plastic clips and took the fender liners off and still have a clunk rattle in the front end im getting pretty close to selling this truck and starting all over any more ideas?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the clunk felt mainly through the steering wheel? Did you replace the steering shaft with just a standard factory replacement? The dodge steering shafts are mostly defective and will begin to clunk when the engine heats up....this is because the joint where the shaft is meant to extend and contract with the suspension gets hot and the grease inside the boot becomes thin....then the shaft rattles back and forth and causes an irritating rattle that is impossible to detect with the engine off and vehicle on the ground.

Borgeson makes a solution for this. Check ebay....search for "dodge ram borgeson steering shaft"

If not the steering shaft, maybe a control arm bushing or body bushing under the cab?

Quick Reply: Rattle Rattle under my feet think i know what it is