2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4X4 noise while turning

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 PM
sniper dave
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 noise while turning

First-hello to all...been awhile since I've been on here!

I have a very loud, binding/scratching noise taking place while in 4H and making even the slightest turn. (found out turning around in my muddy yard)

Many searches point to several different possible problems-yet none came back with a conclusion that I found to point me in the right direction...

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated-plus a recommendation if this repair is for a novice wrencher or if I should pony up and pay the shop...

Thanks-

Dave

Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

I'd crawl under and check all your u-joints. Might be a toasted one if they are still factory. Keep in mind, some binding is normal when cornering in 4wd. However, the scratching part doesn't 'sound' normal.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Sounds like a ujoint on the axle shafts.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM
sniper dave
Professional

Ok-thanks.

So what should I be looking for? and is this a repair a "weekend warrior" can handle?

Old 08-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for any slop at all in the u-joints. Could also be a hub assembly starting to go bad. Either one is a DIY fix, although the hub assembly requires a ~$30 socket and a way to torque it back on to 185 lb/ft.
Not really fun jobs in my opinion, but very doable. Whatever it is, do both sides, not just the one going bad.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

it can be a evil job! my shaft nut was seized up real good! had to heat it with a torch till it was beat red and still have to really rib on it. when it finally broke free it broke all the nut threads and just came flying off. all the threads were actually still on the shaft itself and i had to pick and file them out. it was a nightmare man. this was the passenger side, driver side came off no problem. the shaft nut costs 40 bucks and you can only get them from the dealer.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonBuc'em
it can be a evil job! my shaft nut was seized up real good! had to heat it with a torch till it was beat red and still have to really rib on it. when it finally broke free it broke all the nut threads and just came flying off. all the threads were actually still on the shaft itself and i had to pick and file them out. it was a nightmare man. this was the passenger side, driver side came off no problem. the shaft nut costs 40 bucks and you can only get them from the dealer.

Unless you are mechanically inclined, have the tools noted above by other folks (also need a 14MM 12 point socket for the hub bolts) and patience to do the job, you may not want to tackle it. As for the shaft nut, it can be found at Internet 4x4 parts outlets for much less. I had to pickup one myself and found it for less than $10.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:48 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

im no certified mech, but i know my way around a vehicle. what i dont know or dont understand completely i come here and post questions. thanks to all you guys for help. with all that said, the nut was seized man. being gentle with it did no good. it took 3 and a half hours to get that nut off. i was loosing my patients to be honest. it finally broke off when i stood and bounced on the breaker bar while it was beat red. how would you get a seized nut off?

Quick Reply: 4X4 noise while turning