2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Camshaft sprocket/uneven wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:14 AM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft sprocket/uneven wear

While doing a close inspection of old timing chain set I noticed the inside of the gear/sprocket the camshaft goes through had a sharp ridge. The inside of crankshaft sprocket was perfectly even all the way through , but the camshaft one had a ridge just big enough to feel around the inside circumference where the keyway is.
Just wondering if anybody could see a connection from that and jittery vibration that transfers to tires and into cab at idle, but disappears with slight acceleration? It also transfers to a jerkiness of the whole truck at idle speed, going forward or reverse.

Last edited by ReadRam; 08-31-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:51 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

I wouldn't think so - how was the old timing chain? Was it sloppy and have considerable play in it?

How about providing a photo of the gear issue that you are describing?

Old 08-31-2014, 02:48 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was on the truck in my signature, at about 90,000 miles. same time I had plenum upgrade done. I paid a shop to do the work and the mechanic who did the work moved shortly after. I will try a photo. Maybe it was just milled like that from when it was a new part.

Quick Reply: Camshaft sprocket/uneven wear