2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

painting suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting suspension

thinking about painting my axles and some suspension parts black and some areas red. Would caliper paint be a good choice. Ive got it jacked up pretty high so i'm probably gonna just paint carefully sitting under it and tape off certain areas. Anyone ever done this?

Old 05-02-2015, 08:55 AM
2damnyankee
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
thinking about painting my axles and some suspension parts black and some areas red. Would caliper paint be a good choice. Ive got it jacked up pretty high so i'm probably gonna just paint carefully sitting under it and tape off certain areas. Anyone ever done this?

"Would caliper paint be a goo choice" ok so I am going to say you meant to ask, If painting your calipers is a good idea? I never heard of "caliper paint" before. Anyway if you want to paint your calipers go ahead it wont hurt anything, you are going to have to clean them really good for the paint to stick, plus I would pull them off from rotor and paint separately as to not get any paint on the rotor. During our "show truck days " back when I was younger we painted, powder coated, or had chromed everything under the trucks.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

When i got mine there was a lot of surface rust around the outer tubes of the axle. I was doing all new ball joints etc so it was apart. I pressure blasted (sand blast) the rust off to bare metal primed and painted it black. Any good quality paint will work but surface prep is key! Epoxy primer(dp90) or similar is great for bare metal. No this not spray can stuff so you need a gun-compressor etc... There is a epoxy primer you can get in a can but forgot the name. There is a separate chamber you need to open at the bottom. It's a one time use only.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:02 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

I used ZeroRust to coat/paint my truck frame and axles black. I'm very happy with that product.

Quick Reply: painting suspension