2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:33 PM
mopar 1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny ?

I was going to service my tranny this weekend and was gonna check the shift bands. Has anyone ever adjusted or checked these or should I just take it to a tranny shop and have them just do it. I would like to do it myself to save the money but I am worried about screwing it up and really dont have the money to fix it if I screw it up. On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it, is it something an guy with basic knowledge of a truck can do. I have a haynes manual that has the adjustmensts and all of the specs. If it is out of adjustment will you be able to tell right away or not. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: tranny ?

Don't follow the haynes manual...they've been known to be wrong before.

Here's Chrysler info for you: http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio...T_band_adj.htm

As far as wether you can do it or not, it all depends on what you're comfortable doing. It's a pretty straight forward procedure in my opinion.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:02 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: tranny ?

In response to your email, the specs for the 98 SHOULD be the same as the specs for the 97 or the 99+ transmissions. They're all 46REs. You can double check with your local dealership to be sure though. It's odd that they don't have anything for '98. It's even odd-er that nobody has written in to Steve F. and given him the specs to put on the page.

Quick Reply: tranny ?