2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 01:38 PM
kxcrazy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which driveshaft?

For those of you who read my previous post you will know that I need to order a new front driveshaft.

Went to order it last night and discovered that the one I pulled from the truck seems to be for a NV241LD transfer case. My case id plate states NV241DHD and the underhood sticker lists DWG Transfer Case Heavy Duty. The truck is rated at 8800 GVWR and has the Dana 60 at each end etc.

I suspect in the past that it was replaced with the incorrect one but I want to make sure I order the right part so it does not fail again.

Is there anyone out there with a gen 2 2500 with the NV241DHD case that can send me a picture of the transfer case end of the front driveshaft or even tell me if that end has the single u joint or the double?

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Kxcrazy,

I didn't see your other thread. You will have a double cardan on the front tcase output in factory setup. It will be 1330 as well as at the pinion. Double check by measuring the yoke, cross length and the cap size.

I have have something for you if interested in keeping cost down and not located too far away.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM
kxcrazy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Hey Kxcrazy,

I didn't see your other thread. You will have a double cardan on the front tcase output in factory setup. It will be 1330 as well as at the pinion. Double check by measuring the yoke, cross length and the cap size.

I have have something for you if interested in keeping cost down and not located too far away.
Mine has the double cardan on the tcase end but is has an area that looks like it had a label of some kind which made me believe it was not stock

When I search for replacement shaft the NV241HD one does not have the double cardan and the one that does have it is listed for a NV241LD so I am a little confused as to what to order.

What do you have? I am in PA.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most likely it will depend on if you have a yoke or a flange on the tcase side.

Go to a junkyard....?

I'm on the other coast so never mind.

Quick Reply: Which driveshaft?