2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005 | 10:18 PM
Tani1500
|
Champion
Default need a new clutch

does anyone know what kind of clutch i should get. mines f****ed, [:@]long story. any way i heard center force is the one i should get. anyone know anything about them and which one i should get. ( single or dual ) thanks

Old 11-01-2005 | 10:48 PM
Tani1500
|
Champion
Old 11-02-2005 | 03:51 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Default RE: need a new clutch

For what its worth, my Dodge is an Auto, but I also own a Chebby S10 with a stick. I installed a Centerforce clutch in it and its worked great. A little, and I mean little, harder to depress the clutch pedal, but nothing you can't get used to. Also, and possibly due to the extra effort to depress the clutch, I had to replace the Slave Cylinder shortly after installing the clutch. The clutch is supposed to have 30% more grab, or so the people at Centerforce claim. It sure does seem like it. Make sure you get the new pressure plate as well.

I'm also going to presume you know what else to change out, but I'm going to list it anyway. Make sure to replace your input shaft bushing, Throw out bearing, and get your flywheel resurfaced.

One other item that I like to check anytime I've gone in that far. The Rear Main Crankshaft seal. Might as well replace it too if you have the flywheel off (presuming it can be done easily.)

Old 11-02-2005 | 08:38 PM
Tani1500
|
Champion

well i guess that good that someones used them. I heard there very good though so im not worried. do you think i should do for the centerforce II or the dual. I was think dual but do you think that might be too much. im going to be doing alot of wheeling and hammering on it so.

Old 11-02-2005 | 08:53 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I wish I were a clutch expert, but I'm not. Keeping that in mind, here is my thought process on the matter: Whatever makes your drivetrain stronger, is better!! If your going to be doing some offroading, my thoughts tell me to get a clutch that has some serious grab to it.

All this has to be kept in check though. Consider how many, or if any, mods need to be done. Do you need a special flywheel? Special Slave Cylinder? Any adapters? Clearance problems? If you change the flywheel, are you going to have to worry about changing the starter or re-shimming it? I try and think of all angles before I start changing stuff. Cost vs. utility. Then again, to hell with cost and utility. I WANT IT!!! But that's me.

Weigh it all (in your mind, not literally!<bg&gt and see what you come up with. Or you can do what I sometimes do: "AH, WTF!! Go for the Gusto!!!!"

Just my 5 cents worth (inflation!!)

Quick Reply: need a new clutch