2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 PM
sonstruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery drain

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.2 V8 sport and the battery keeps draining. I bought a new battery then replaced the alternator and then after truck sat for 4 days battery completely dead, no lights, can't even unlock the doors with key fob. I bought this truck for my son, he is 16 from a one owner who could no longer drive due to illness, it has 140,000 miles no check engine light on or anything. He took very nice careof the truck you can tell by the condition (other than my battery issue) With what I saw while searching for trucks for him the mileage is average, I saw trucks being sold with a lot more miles then that. I already had battery, starter and alternator checked at auto store. Everything tested fine, when truck was off it was still drawing .04 amps but he said that still passed the test and wouldn't cause the battery to be completely dead in 4 days. I am at a loss, please help!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Trying to find a battery drain can be very very hard to do. Disconnect the positive cable from the battery and take a test light and connect one end to the battery terminal and the other to the battery cable. The light in the test light should light up. Now have someone watch the light while you pull one fuse at a time and see if the light goes out. If the light doesn't go out then put the fuse back in and pull the next fuse. If when you pull the fuse the light goes out or gets dimmer write down what circuit the fuse goes to. Keep on pulling fuses until the light goes out all the way. If after pulling all the fuses under the dash and the light is still on then pull the fuses in the distribution box in the engine bay. If you pull all the fuses and don't kill the light then you need to look for any added circuits that might have been added.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 PM
sonstruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate your response. I am going to have my uncle try this. I will let you know.

Quick Reply: battery drain