2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems after installing hughes air gap

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:14 PM
zramsst
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after installing hughes air gap

I've just finished installing the hughes air gap intake manifold on my truck, along with champion plugs, NGK wires, cap and rotor (brass), NTK pre cat o2 sensor, coolant temp sensor because i broke the original one upon removal. Engine fired up right away. However the check engine light is on, and i have 5 codes showing. At first it was p0132 and p0135. p0132 is o2 sensor circuit high voltage, p0135 is o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction. I took it for a 10 minute drive and 3 more popped up. P0300, P0302 and P0304. P0300 is random/multiple misfire, P0302 misfire cylinder 2, p0304 misfire cylinder 4. It is idling rough and kinda misses at idle. When cruising it seems to run decent and has good throttle response. Doesnt miss at WOT and pulls strong through the rpm range. Ive checked connections on the fuel injectors and they are good. All electrical connects seem good. I sprayed brake cleaner around the vacuum lines and connections and the idle didnt change, sprayed the injector ports on the manifold and the idle didnt change. Im running out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-09-2015, 01:22 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would put the old o2 sensor on to see if it happens again, the new one might be junk.
It also sounds like you have a wire routing issue on the spark plug wires.

What did you do for the fuel rail cross over line? I couldn't get the plastic line to go on right so I got a rubber fuel line to put it in it's place.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 AM
zramsst
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately i destroyed the old o2 sensor taking it out so I can't reinstall it. I'll just try another one. I was just wondering about the spark plug wire routing, just remembered about the tsb for those. For the fuel line i used fuel hose and clamps, i tried the plastic line but it kept kinking, especially when i heated it up in hot water. I found a thread about someone (can't remember who it was) using fuel hose because of the same problems i was having. I had to get a new retainer clip for the fuel line where it connects to the rail.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:00 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

incorrect wire routing wouldn't cause misfires like you are having, it sounds like you have some wires plugged into the wrong places on the distributor cap. Incorrect wire routing with thin wires (stock thickness) can cause a couple hundred rpm surge at highway speed in overdrive.
I went with Goodyear 30r9 for the fuel line. I was told by another guy on here that regular rubber fuel lines don't cut it because he had one break down and clog up his fuel injectors.

Quick Reply: Problems after installing hughes air gap