2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another 5.2 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:09 AM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 5.2 build

I have a 98 1500 5.2 2wd. I have gotten the unofficial go ahead from my lady to start a rebuild. Im going to be rebuilding another 5.2 block. Im not going to do anything crazy just want to bump up power and torque a lot. I dont want to do a stroker its too much for what i want to do...
This truck is more or less a daily driver that we do tow/haul with it a fair amount. Im looking for a big bump in the low to mid range torque. Currently it has 3.55 i will be putting 4.10s in. The trans has been rebuilt and beefed up.

As far as the rebuilding a new block ive heard of keith black pistons but not too much about the crank. As far as a cam goes ive been debating between hipotek 206x or 210x vs lunati 20200217 or 20200218 i just cant figure out which one. Ive heard a lot of good things about hipotek and i know lunati has top notch cams but i just havent found enough trucks with a lunati cam...

if anybody has any input would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

If you are getting another block ever consider a 360 instead? Stock crank should be fine for what you have in mind. hipotek? Never heard of them. lunati usually makes cams for all out high end performance. Ever look at comp cams? A lot builds i see use them.
http://www.compcams.com/

Old 09-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

Yes i have heard of comp cams. I dont mind going with them either i just have a buddy i work with that has nothing but good things to say about lunati but he has an old camaro drag car. So naturally i got curious and looked into lunati but i never did find a whole lot of info on them in our trucks...very well could be a reason i dont know so i figured i would ask here. And heres hipotek website.

http://stores.hi-potek.com/

I believe it used to be krc? Correct me if im wrong...

As far as using a 360...i like the good ole 318. To me everyone goes with 360 for more power. So i thought id be different and see what i can do with a 318. Also if it matters when picking a cam i live in california so i do have to pass emissions.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hipotek makes and sells good stuff

Old 09-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

What im tryin to ask is if anybody has had experience or has heard anything about lunati cams in our trucks?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:20 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Look on page 22 of their catalog. They make a hand full of cams but only about two for what you had in mind. I would look at some of the other manufactures that have more available for a build like yours. Comp cams has good cam selection help, I would contact them and tell them what you had in mind that can still pass Cali emissions.

http://www.lunatipower.com/LunatiOnlineCatalog.aspx

Old 09-22-2015, 09:28 AM
Khris1994
Veteran
Old 09-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

Ok i called lunati the guy said that they dont shelf a cam for the magnum motors... i called back to get recomendation on specs for a grind a different guy recommended a cam they carry... anyway i just got the specs from that cam and compared it but i believe im just goin to go with hipotek hpt206x4 cam.

What my plan is, is to find a decent short block and build that up so my truck wont see too much down time.

As for internals are there any brands that out perform or are just better than one another? Keep in mind i dont mind spending the money where it counts.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Old 09-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any plans for the exhaust? One benefit I had with my rebuild was my exhaust guy opened it up after the cat to 2.5" all the way out so she could breathe free.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:32 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Duguid.kevin
Ok i called lunati the guy said that they dont shelf a cam for the magnum motors... i called back to get recomendation on specs for a grind a different guy recommended a cam they carry... anyway i just got the specs from that cam and compared it but i believe im just goin to go with hipotek hpt206x4 cam.

What my plan is, is to find a decent short block and build that up so my truck wont see too much down time.

As for internals are there any brands that out perform or are just better than one another? Keep in mind i dont mind spending the money where it counts.

Thanks in advance for all the help
Yes stick with Richard from HiPoTek as he sells a lot of quality stuff.
Now as to your question about internals of the engine. No there aren't really any are better than others in this area. Just make sure you buy quality products when buying parts. Use good roller lifters and a roller rocker.

Quick Reply: Another 5.2 build