2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Shoe hold down pins

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:11 AM
DodgerDaveMDT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake Shoe hold down pins

Hi!
Anyone out there know of or had these hold down pins break or pulled inward from the 'backing plate' ???

My '96 B3500 one ton van has had this happen three times! Each time it is the leading shoe on the right hand side.

The hold down spring and pin disengage after a few thousand miles and become trapped between the adjuster, shoe, and drum. This creates a high squeal grinding sound.

The rear brakes have been replaced new two times and hardware kit three times. I have now purchased again new shoes, drums, and hardware kit.

The only idea I have is that the leading shoe pin is being drawn inward as the backing plate hole seems large enough to knurl the pin's flange under tension. Only a guess.

Any other ideas???

Last edited by DodgerDaveMDT; 10-11-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:43 PM
DodgerDaveMDT
Old 10-11-2015, 11:56 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd see about closing that hole, or put a washer on it.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 PM
DodgerDaveMDT

Originally Posted by horatio102
I'd see about closing that hole, or put a washer on it.
Thanks for your quick response horatio, but because of the taper design of the head of the pin, a washer makes it worse.

I ended up using a heavier duty pin. Besides, the holes do not appear to be enlarged due to wear. So, for now, still a mystery! I only renewed the right rear drum, shoes, and hardware. Brakes working great, but Im not sure if they will stay that way!

Quick Reply: Brake Shoe hold down pins