2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adjustable control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Ah, gotcha. That's the reason I got mine. Just wanted something better than the stupid stamped steel/rubber jobbers. Nice to grease them too.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:25 PM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Because....?

Like I said, the aftermarket arms are the same length. This was covered a lot back in the day.
just happen to have a skyjacker DLL-23 lower arm here and in fact they are almost 1/2 inch longer then stock.18 1/2 inches stock...skyjacker almost 19 inches.

Attached Thumbnails Adjustable control arms-010.jpg   Adjustable control arms-003.jpg   Adjustable control arms-006.jpg  
Old 11-11-2015, 07:11 PM
BigGreenRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stands2p
just happen to have a skyjacker DLL-23 lower arm here and in fact they are almost 1/2 inch longer then stock.18 1/2 inches stock...skyjacker almost 19 inches.
Thanks for the pics they look real good. Now let ask by putting those on where will your caster be set at I just put all new steering links on my truck and bout to get it aligned. Post your settings after u have it aligned if it's in spec ill go that route save a bit of cash thanks

Old 11-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Stands2up,
Thanks for the pics. That's the same arms I have although I don't recognize the part number. Maybe it changed. I do recognize the STUPID STICKER that caused serious RUST behind it under the paint. Guess powder coating is just as weak as a rattle can. If those are yours, I would remove the sticker asap.

As for the length, they may be longer. I can't see the other end, haha. Does a half inch make any difference? If I raised the truck with a 5" coil, I'd need these huge long arms that attach way back on the frame. Pretty significant. Maybe that's why all the posts over the years said they were the same length. I installed mine 5 and a half years ago but I remember there being no significant difference.

Big Green,
I'm curious what your caster setting (cam bolts) are currently before you get it aligned. There used to be a post of proper alignment specs floating around the web about ten years ago for Dodges but I have lost it. Mainly it was addressing toe but included caster as well. I put mine just forward of noon and wonder where they should really be. I know that before my lift, when all was stock and perfect, the cam bolts were set differently side to side.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Half inch makes a huge difference when it comes to caster.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:21 AM
BigGreenRam
Professional

The cam bolts are as far as they can go at 6 o'clock no more adjustment so my thinking and let me know if I'm wrong. By putting longer arms adjustable or not and bring the came back to the least amount of caster then longer arms would have some adjustment left get lol

Old 11-13-2015, 05:38 PM
stands2p
Banned

Originally Posted by BigGreenRam
Thanks for the pics they look real good. Now let ask by putting those on where will your caster be set at I just put all new steering links on my truck and bout to get it aligned. Post your settings after u have it aligned if it's in spec ill go that route save a bit of cash thanks
thats just a extra arm i had laying around.ive had the set of arms on the truck for several years.i do my own alignment just make sure both cambolts are pointing in the same direction after they align it.if there not then you will drive down the road dog legged cuz they twisted the axle to set caster.most the time the track bar is not the correct length to center the front axle.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:44 PM
stands2p
Banned

Originally Posted by BigGreenRam
The cam bolts are as far as they can go at 6 o'clock no more adjustment so my thinking and let me know if I'm wrong. By putting longer arms adjustable or not and bring the came back to the least amount of caster then longer arms would have some adjustment left get lol
cambolts should only be between the lines on the axle.if yours are at 6 then there way out of adjustment and not doing much.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:47 PM
stands2p
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Stands2up,
Thanks for the pics. That's the same arms I have although I don't recognize the part number. Maybe it changed. I do recognize the STUPID STICKER that caused serious RUST behind it under the paint. Guess powder coating is just as weak as a rattle can. If those are yours, I would remove the sticker asap.

As for the length, they may be longer. I can't see the other end, haha. Does a half inch make any difference? If I raised the truck with a 5" coil, I'd need these huge long arms that attach way back on the frame. Pretty significant. Maybe that's why all the posts over the years said they were the same length. I installed mine 5 and a half years ago but I remember there being no significant difference.

Big Green,
I'm curious what your caster setting (cam bolts) are currently before you get it aligned. There used to be a post of proper alignment specs floating around the web about ten years ago for Dodges but I have lost it. Mainly it was addressing toe but included caster as well. I put mine just forward of noon and wonder where they should really be. I know that before my lift, when all was stock and perfect, the cam bolts were set differently side to side.
if you dont believe then post a pic of yours with a measurement.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:31 AM
bogo

Originally Posted by BBartow
You do need lower control arms at 3"
It's a fine line at 3 inches. You really don't need em, it juts pulls the axle back towards the cab about an inch so some trimming should suffice if rubbing.

Quick Reply: Adjustable control arms